Ethnic Food that People Should Know About

Must be hard to order winkles with a straight face. I was in Whitby this past summer, and one of the food vans had them. I was discouraged from ordering.

What a pity. It was a Sunday treat growing up in England. I think, when you see them on menus here, they tend to be called "periwinkles." I've had them at Aquagrill in the past.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously, have you ever tried the trip planner on mta.info? It's really good.

Checked out the Food Court in the Flushing New World Mall yesterday....

i was there yesterday. no free samples at j-mart, got some nice veggies (mushrooms are dirt cheap), was looking for tapioca and/or rice dumpling wrappers but no luck. if i were a wheat or fish eater, think i would have been in heaven but sadly there wasn't much there for me. the food court is pretty cool. those bowls of shellfish are mindblowingly huge and everything looked very fresh. i wanted to try the rice noodle booth but they were closed. :(

Ahh, that’s too bad. Jmart sampling must be a wknd event. I imagine all the stalls are open too. Yeah, those giant wooden seafood bowls are something. I haven’t seen them anywhere else. Did you happen to notice what booth/cuisine they came from?

Orik, that pork belly is really pretty. And from the other pics the food is taken seriously. I haven’t got it yet with pigs feet tho. Too gelatinous and fatty. Not to say I won’t keep trying.

Checked out the Food Court in the Flushing New World Mall yesterday....

i was there yesterday. no free samples at j-mart, got some nice veggies (mushrooms are dirt cheap), was looking for tapioca and/or rice dumpling wrappers but no luck. if i were a wheat or fish eater, think i would have been in heaven but sadly there wasn't much there for me. the food court is pretty cool. those bowls of shellfish are mindblowingly huge and everything looked very fresh. i wanted to try the rice noodle booth but they were closed. :(

Ahh, that’s too bad. Jmart sampling must be a wknd event. I imagine all the stalls are open too. Yeah, those giant wooden seafood bowls are something. I haven’t seen them anywhere else. Did you happen to notice what booth/cuisine they came from?

Orik, that pork belly is really pretty. And from the other pics the food is taken seriously. I haven’t got it yet with pigs feet tho. Too gelatinous and fatty. Not to say I won’t keep trying.

i looked all over and couldn't tell which booth the bowls came from. i wonder if they are a secret off menu item. i didn't see them on any of the signage as i toured the food court

• 2 weeks later...

Omar's Kitchen & Bakery, on 55th St between 3rd and Lex. It's in the Islamic Society Building, so I'm guessing that it's like their cafeteria or something. It's across from Darbar so I've been walking past it since it opened early this summer.

I finally stopped in. The chicken shawarma* is quite good as is the hummus (very creamy, with a little vinegar spike). Nice fluffy pita as well. It has a nice selection of the basic meats and veggie dishes. I'll report back as I sample more.

(I just learned from the Internets that it's owned by some large conglomoration called Cowgirl Catering. It's not authentic, nor does it taste as good as I'd thought upon tasting it.)

*Anyone else notice that it's becoming nigh-on impossible to find lamb shawarma anymore?

*Anyone else notice that it's becoming nigh-on impossible to find lamb shawarma anymore?

Yes. Chickens seem to have pretty much taken over the entire cheap meat

market for, I think, obvious price reasons. The "meat" samosas and seekh

kebabs at Indian takeout stores on Lex in the upper twenties or in Jackson

Heights now use minced chicken instead of lamb or goat.

I assumed it was that most people prefer chicken.

Depends on who your customers are. People brought up here often

don't like lamb and tend to prefer chicken. It's possible that some

middle-eastern places are bowing to this demand. But chicken is

cheap, and I'm guessing that's a factor, too. For the Indian stores

I mentioned, I think it's a significant factor since their customers are

goat/lamb eaters to start off with.

I'm surprised Ayada Thai didn't have a thread until last weekend. It's been contending with Sri (and perhaps bettering them overall) for a couple of years.

Also in that area, Chao Thai and Ploy Thai are worth considering.

I have a friend who swears up and down Chao Thai is the best of the bunch. Given we tend to agree on what's wrong with Sri (inconsistent, dumbing down, proteins) and Ayada (too sweet occasionally) I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I'm surprised Ayada Thai didn't have a thread until last weekend. It's been contending with Sri (and perhaps bettering them overall) for a couple of years.

I have a friend who swears up and down Chao Thai is the best of the bunch. Given we tend to agree on what's wrong with Sri (inconsistent, dumbing down, proteins) and Ayada (too sweet occasionally) I'm looking forward to checking it out.

chao thai is solid but not in the same league as sri or ayada imho.

chao thai is solid but not in the same league as sri or ayada imho.

Cool. I won't put it ahead of fu run in the queue then.

The regional chinese places ar hard for me to go to. My wife tends to have texture issues with food and dislikes szechuan peppercorn - of which she said to me the first time I took her to Spicy and Tasty "I think there might be poison in this food"

also went to Hahm Ji Bach and Southern Spice this weekend.

Hahm Ji Bach is awesome, and maybe the most accessible to non-koreans, but still filled with Koreans place I've been to. I've been there twice in the last month. thanks for tip

Southern Spice's new location (New Hyde Park) - as Steve R said, good - not a revelation. The waiter basically told us flat out that they've had to reduce the spicing on things for walk-ins out there compared to their old location in Flushing. So if you go make sure they know you want all 65 spices on that chicken. The Biryani was really really good though. Delicate and fragrant.

Leave to LI'ers to f-up a good thing.

We revisited Hahm Ji Bach couple weeks ago and were unfortunately disappointed for the first time. While the house tofu was wonderful (again) with a perfect light texture and a fiery red spicy scallion sc, the rest of the banchan was limited and pedestrian. As well that room temp fried whole fish they normally include was absent and not replaced with say a calamari salad or other spl like we’ve seen at places like Galbi Ma Eul which is one of our favorites.

Our mains were a baked short rib – fried whole fish combo and a mixed seafood casserole. The seafood was fine, containing good portions of a loose white fish, squid, shrimp and tiny muscles in a spicy kimchee garlic sc. The short ribs though were tough in an overly thick and sweet brown sauce. The fish was over cooked, over salted and very dry. M couldn’t eat it. I of course forced myself. Both dishes came with rice and a cloudy broth of root veg with bits of beef. Pretty bland. We’re still not sure what to do with these broths as they typically accompany mains. We’ve inquired over the years – over the rice, in the dish, straight up??? Always the same answer, “however you like”. (I don’t know why I can’t accept that response)

I have to say the service was a bit off too. Wait staff was cold and pushy trying to persuade us to order additional items we had inquired about and not happy we didn’t go for bbq. Oh well, tough times maybe even for them.

I would surely go back but it’s off the ‘no brainer’ list. I really need to investigate that area around Hahm. I see so many interesting competitors. Some doing good biz aimed at the locals it appears. Maybe something different from the guys on or near N.Blvd.

Had the same thoughtsw re the worthiness of a visit to the new N.Spice. I think the same for the Williston Park Sripraphai but would w/like to confirm both. Thanks

Next on my list, which is right down the street from Hahm Ji Bach is Mapo.. There was a huge line when i passed by the other night.. I have since heard great things..We should meet you there next week.

Sulrak Garden is another place i hear the BBQ is awesome. and they have charcoal.

sol hyang lee is also on my list.. kind of like chinese/korean hybrid.. lots of meat on sticks.. this is second or first on my list of places to try