Security Protection malware thing

So, I managed to download that Security Protection malware thing going around--the one that masks itself as a virus protection program and it tells you that you have all sorts of viruses and other malware, etc. etc.

I did some research and found this http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue/spyware-protection-virus/ . But when I start my computer, I can't get into Task Manager or any of my valid virus protection programs, so none of those options are working for me. In the comments however, one guy said this:

Just finished messing with this spyware protector virus. It locked up my whole system, would not allow me to run any programs including task manager. I found the way to rid it was, shut computer off restart in safemode (on startup continually hit F8 key) then go to Start, all programs,accesories, system tools and system restore. Pick a earlier restart point (before you acquire this virus 1-2 todays. Restored me back to normal. Now I will get a good virus protector. Thanks everyone for the answers.

I managed to restart in safe mode, and the closest restore point is March 10th. But once I restore to that point, does that mean I won't have that dumb-ass Security Protection thing? Or do I sitll have to go back and remove all traces of it from my registry, etc?

Is there any reason I can't just run Malwarebytes in safe mode and have it take care of everything? Or do virus protection programs like that not work in safe mode?

Very confused, I am.

Well, I tried running Malwarebytes in safe mode, and it removed a couple of things. Then I started my computer normally, and was able to start Malwarebytes again. I'm running another scan, and hopefully it will show that all that ails my computer will have vanished.

Turns out starting in safe mode and then running Malewarebytes did the trick.

Rona, Glad you recovered well!

How did you get malwarebytes to run while in safe mode? Did you already have a copy of malwarebytes on your PC? Or did you download it while in safe mode? Or did malwarebytes run from the Internet?

I believe you can still run programs from Safe mode, right? I haven't had to do that in a long time (knocking on wood) so I don't really remember.

Glad the problem is resolved!

AVG Free Edition seems to have kept that kind of stuff off of my laptop, so far (knocking on wood again), for whatever that's worth.

I already had Malwarebytes on my system. I wasn't sure I would be able to run it in safe mode, but it did, and it found a couple of things and deleted them.

Then I restarted my computer in normal mode and I ran Malwarebytes again to make sure everything was OK. I was able to open it (unlike when Security Protection was on my system, and I did another scan which turned up nothing, so I'm clean!

ETA--I actually have AVG Free on my system, too, but it didn't stop it. Bastards!

I suspect, but cannot guarantee, that it came though a site I subscribe to in google Reader. This is the second time it has happened to me (though the first time, i was able to catch it before it went too far), and both times, I clicked on a blog that came up in Google Reader so it would open in its own window. I think it was the same site both times. And shortly after I the site opened, the Security Protection thing started. The site I clicked on is a legitimate site, and I used to be able to read it without any problems, but I've now deleted it from my reader so I won't have to worry about the same thing happening again.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened.

I wish I could remember the name. I only remember that the blogger was from Australia, and it was one of those food/travel/photography blogs. I think the blogger was a guy.

I did a quick google search, and I think it was "A Table for Two". I don't want to click on the link to try, though. Anyone want to experiment?

• 2 years later...
What's the good free virus/malware protection software nowadays? I'd been using AVG, but they now want $50 a year.

Stone, I've had no indication that AVG Free is no longer free. And googling finds no indication either.

Sometimes AVG Free download is hard to locate (probably by design).