Business Dinner Tomorrow in DC

I've only had drinks at the bar, but Adour at the St. Regis looks good and is surprisingly reasonable ($65 for 4 courses).

Wouldn't that be sort of samey? I was looking for something a little less already exists in New York.

I've only had drinks at the bar, but Adour at the St. Regis looks good and is surprisingly reasonable ($65 for 4 courses).

Wouldn't that be sort of samey? I was looking for something a little less already exists in New York.

What about the Ray's places - they get all sort of plaudits - havn't been tho. Ray's the Steaks and Ray's Hellburger. Both in NoVa tho.

The donrockwell people are usually helpful, but you have to register to browse I think.

The donrockwell people are usually helpful, but you have to register to browse I think.

Registration only needed for the dining guide. The forums are all open.

Jesikka - what neighborhood will you be in?

I'm not a big fan of Jose Andres, sadly. Also, I think those might skew a little more expensive/ hard to get into.

I'm really looking for a sort of Bar Modern/Union Square Cafe/Maialino equivalent. Good food that might not be super exciting but is well done and likeable and only in DC. I'll do my ethiopian etc on my own time. I'll be with my boss whose taste I don't know super well yet.

We're staying at the Westin on 15th NW and M.

I think for what you are looking for Rail Paul's suggestion of Old Ebbitt Grill is pretty apt. My sister, who lives in McLean and does a lot of business dinners, is not terribly adventurous and her fave is Cafe Milano but I think that might be expensive.

I'm not a big fan of Jose Andres, sadly. Also, I think those might skew a little more expensive/ hard to get into.

I'm really looking for a sort of Bar Modern/Union Square Cafe/Maialino equivalent. Good food that might not be super exciting but is well done and likeable and only in DC. I'll do my ethiopian etc on my own time. I'll be with my boss whose taste I don't know super well yet.

We're staying at the Westin on 15th NW and M.

Focused on things close by...

Top two choices --

The Oval Room - Probably my best restaurant in DC right now* Can almost always get a table or a seat at the bar. Moderate price by NYC standards. Chef Tony Conte worked for JGV. On Connecticut, a block from the White House

Corduroy - My favorite restaurant in DC. Tom Power worked for Michel Richard. Makes the best soups around. Not exciting food, but well executed. The $30 bar menu is a steal. 9th and N(?) - next to the convention center

The rest --

Central - Michel Richard's bistro at 10th and Penn Ave.

Bibiana - A relatively new Italian place by the White House that I have heard good things about, but have yet to try.

Galileo III - The latest reincarnation of Roberto Donna. Personally, I refuse to go because of, shall we say, his perceived ethical lapses, but the guy makes some really good Italian food. No word if service is as bad as it was in the original incarnation of Galileo.

CityZen - Eric Ziebold (ex-French Laundry) south of the Mall. The farthest away, but $50 for 3 course bar menu is a great deal. Warning -- the bar stools get to be uncomfortable after about 10 minutes and the room is positively dungeon-like.

*IMO, Komi is the most overrated restaurant in DC, if not the East Coast.

I had a really bad amateurish lunch at the Oval Room last year, it struck me as a not very well executed dumbed down version of Jean Georges. I may have caught them on a bad day but there's no way I'd go back.

Rasika is ok, not as good as Devi was a few years ago but not offensive.

My favorite DC restaurant is 2amys, but it's not near downtown, will probably have a wait, and isn't as formal as the NY places you mention. Menu format is similar to Franny's w/o the pasta, pizza and simple italian food. I usually order from the specials, which aren't on their website. Get an ice cream if you go.

I haven't been to Cordoroy in a long time but it's probably what you're looking for. Check the price. I agree with Adrian about Central. If you are looking to sit at a table Citizen is probably a good bet if it's in your price range. No way I would use a Roberto Donna restaurant for business, but I haven't been to the new Galileo. Someone I trust told me the food at the new one is pretty good though. Komi is too expensive for what you're looking for and not that great.