Lots of scenery chewing, but quite good. It's the first Eyre movie I've seen. Beautifully done, very good acting. They skip a lot of the witty banter/flirtation, but if you know the story, you can kind of fill it in. Judi Dench is a little wasted in the role, but Mia Whatshernameski is very good. Nice gardens and furniture.

Lots of scenery chewing, but quite good. It's the first Eyre movie I've seen. Beautifully done, very good acting. They skip a lot of the witty banter/flirtation, but if you know the story, you can kind of fill it in. Judi Dench is a little wasted in the role, but Mia Whatshernameski is very good. Nice gardens and furniture.

are you still crafting furniture, Stone?

There's a version in which Charlotte Gainsbourg made a very good Jane but unfortunately Mr Rochester was played by William Hurt, who is just way too weird to be playing even anyone as odd as Mr Rochester.

I am a fan of Michael Fassbender, Rochester in the current version. Mia Wasistowska played the daughter in The Kids Are Alright, I thought she was very good in that.

They skip a lot of the witty banter/flirtation

"Witty banter/flirtation"? Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any witty banter or flirtation. Seems to me that the mood was far too dark and brooding, even threatening and foreboding for witty banter. And Jane too shy and apprehensive and aware of her lowly station for flirtation. In fact, seems to me that the book, anyway, was more of a suspenseful mystery/thriller than just a romance. One spends most of the book fearful that Jane is in mortal peril and not sure from whom. Perhaps one of the sinister older women? Perhaps Rochester himself, who may be an unbalanced pervert? And what are those strange noises in the night? Although it's possible I've forgotten, I personally wouldn't expect witty banter or flirtation so, speaking just for myself, I won't miss it if it's not there.

An obvious vehicle, I should have thought, for Scarlett Johansson, but never mind. :)

In which role?

Surely not Jane.

I cannot imagine Scarlett Johansson delivering the key line, "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?" with any degree of believability.

That's always seemed to me to be the most difficult aspect of casting Jane. Although she needs to be attractive enough to make her a sympathetic character and for it to be possible that Rochester could fall in love with her, she's definitely supposed to be plain. Even mousy.

Scarlett Johansson is pretty obviously the whole show wherever she goes. I doubt the makeup man exists that could turn her lush beauty into a plain little grey sparrow that disappears unnoticed into the wallpaper.