Business cards

I had to order business cards. Most people in the office put their credentials on their cards, like John Smith BA, CertESL. I think it's a bit pretentious--plus anyone can get a BA (especially in Manitoba, where a BA is only a 3-year degree) or a CertESL, so is anyone to whom you give your card really going to be impressed that you have any of these credentials?

But now that I have my cards, I feel they're a little bare. And now I'm worried that outsiders will think I have no education at all, while everyone around me has at least a BA. If I were to add credentials to my business card, how would I add them? I have two BA (Adv) (a BA (Adv) is, in the real world, your standard 4-year BA), and one MA. Would it be:

Jane Doe, BA (Adv)2 , MA --this is my personal favourite

Jane Doe, BA (Adv), BA (Adv), MA --I hate this one

Jane Doe, BA (Adv), MA ---snoozeville

Jane Doe, MA --since BAs are a dime a dozen, they don't really count, anyway.

Some possibly important notes--I actually have more education than anyone else in my department, including my immediate supervisor (and including the director, for that matter). That is also part of the reason why I did not want my credentials on my cards. I am also a peon; I am (happily) in a position that does not require any sort of post-secondary education at all.

Put them on? Leave them off? I imagine it will take a year or so for me to work through the cards I have, so I have plenty of time to think about this.

You left out "pony owner'"

Maybe I'll have my cards say

The Venerable Jane Doe, Smarter than anyone else here"

smarter or more highly educated?

if it won't freak out your boss put the ma otherwise just leave it plain. if it becomes relevant or you get a promotion you can always add your degrees later

both.

:lol:

Actually, a few of them seem to be quite smart, but I was a little shocked at how little most of them know about the world, and more importantly, about subjects related to field in which we are working. Things that should be common knowledge (in this field), are far from commonly known. And it's not just that they don't know certain things (that they really should know), it's that they don't seem to care about them, either. Shocking. But this is the Canadian prairies, so I suppose it is somewhat expected. . .

both.

:lol:

Actually, a few of them seem to be quite smart, but I was a little shocked at how little most of them know about the world, and more importantly, about subjects related to field in which we are working. Things that should be common knowledge (in this field), are far from commonly known. And it's not just that they don't know certain things (that they really should know), it's that they don't seem to care about them, either. Shocking. But this is the Canadian prairies, so I suppose it is somewhat expected. . .

I think that desscribes the bulk of humanity in general, apart from small clusters of folks that seem to accrue in random areas (mostly urban but not always) and, increasingly, in virtual clumps - e.g., Mouthfuls itself. :lol:

As for the business card:

Jane Doe, Tunneling from within

Everybody who reads it will apply their own interpretation, be it from quantum physics, Web programming or the legal philosophy of Derrida. It'll be a great conversation starter!

We want to entice people to use our services, not drive them away.

Can "tunneling from within" mean that I'm drowning in a mudslide of bureaucracy?

Why do people even put their credentials on business cards? Is it ever really necessary?

Can "tunneling from within" mean that I'm drowning in a mudslide of bureaucracy?

Totally, & you're working hard to find a way out.

Why do people even put their credentials on business cards? Is it ever really necessary?

1) Sometimes it's useful for getting & retaining clients. E.g., S got herself some sort of arcane certification in the pension field that clients like to see next to the name of the person handling their retirement money.

2) It may be helpful if you're looking for a new job.