Micromanage My Life

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

This is awesome.

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

Posted Images

Arrogant Swine was the first place I thought of, actually, but I need to find out if the young woman is a pig eater.

I always wonder how young people enforce small plates discipline, or if there's somebody [the sell-out who went into investment banking?] who has to take care of any excess expenditure.

I think sneak is probably right, but I'll post anyways.

the cheapest restaurant that I know of with good cooking is fritzl's lunch box, but you might be pushing it price wise if you drink. mekelberg's too.

bar bolinas has a great happy hour deal where you get their very good burger or a chicken sandwich with fries and a tecate for $10. my wife has been dissatisfied with their wines by the glass, the beer program is good enough for me.

not sure if the following meet the multi course meal requirement...

homeland is a great idea, it's consistently good and you could take someone who doesn't eat pork. I think the brisket is the way to go irregardless.

lucali or giuseppina's will be cheap enough, lucali is byob and giuseppina's has bad wine but is easier to get into. I think the atmosphere ate either place is good for dates.

I had a bad meal at the remaining red hook thai place recently.

I always wonder how young people enforce small plates discipline, or if there's somebody [the sell-out who went into investment banking?] who has to take care of any excess expenditure.

For the people who don't work in finance/law/consulting, I find that people in my generation either (a) live paycheck to paycheck, with no/minimal savings or (b) have help from their parents.

It's very hard to get out of any non-"ethnic" restaurant in this city for under $100 for two people if those two people are drinking. At even cheap non-ethnic places, beer prices are creeping up to $8 per, a glass of wine is $11-13, and you basically can't find a cocktail for under $12. Last week I paid $7 for a Miller High Life at a "gastropub" on the Lower East Side (I know -- I'm what's wrong with this city). If each person has two drinks, after tax and tip that's ~$40 for booze alone, and that's at a cheap place.

For the people who don't work in finance/law/consulting, I find that people in my generation either (a) live paycheck to paycheck, with no/minimal savings or (b) have help from their parents.

It's very hard to get out of any non-"ethnic" restaurant in this city for under $100 for two people if those two people are drinking. At even cheap non-ethnic places, beer prices are creeping up to $8 per, a glass of wine is $11-13, and you basically can't find a cocktail for under $12. Last week I paid $7 for a Miller High Life at a "gastropub" on the Lower East Side (I know -- I'm what's wrong with this city). If each person has two drinks, after tax and tip that's ~$40 for booze alone, and that's at a cheap place.

Beer and a shot @ Mekelburgs for 6 bucks!

• Like 1

I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think most finance/law/consulting people aren't also living paycheck-paycheck - or really bonus-bonus.

Think of it this way. How many finance people have base salaries that can cover 5k a month in rent and allow savings?

I can only speak for those that I know, but as far as I know all of my friends in finance/law/consulting save money beyond their rent/living expenses/debt service. I don't know anyone who pays 5k/month in rent though, and I bug my friends to make sure they contribute to their 401(k)s.

Need to get there -- it's on my list!

I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think most finance/law/consulting people aren't also living paycheck-paycheck - or really bonus-bonus.

Think of it this way. How many finance people have base salaries that can cover 5k a month in rent and allow savings?

Then they shouldn't be living in 5k/month apartments. Unless you need a doorman, most Manhattan 1brs are around $3k/mo anyway.

Even at $80k+ per year, people shouldn't live beyond, or to the very limits of, their means (I realize that that's next to impossible in NYC, but if you're forking so much of your income on rent that you're hardly able to enjoy the benefits of living in Manhattan, maybe it's time to reassess)

Also, second Chavelas, or Glady's down the street.

AND I was just about to say that I've never spent more than maybe $60/pp at Mekelburgs.

I can only speak for those that I know, but as far as I know all of my friends in finance/law/consulting save money beyond their rent/living expenses/debt service. I don't know anyone who pays 5k/month in rent though, and I bug my friends to make sure they contribute to their 401(k)s.

The data is what the data is. Once your friends start families those days of 3k apartments are over.

A friends wife was the treasurer of a boutique investment bank. A vanishingly small % of their employees maxed out 401ks.

The data is what the data is. Once your friends start families those days of 3k apartments are over.

A friends wife was the treasurer of a boutique investment bank. A vanishingly small % of their employees maxed out 401ks.

What data are you talking about? I'm not aware of any data that says that 30-year-olds in finance/consulting/law spend 5k/month on rent, nor do I know a single person who does so.

some of the parents at my daughter's school are paying that much. mid thirties doctors.

I have met people who are five years into their professional career, still six figures in debt, and have an 80k stereo system.