Micromanage My Life

Where are you getting a $1000 price tag for Aska? If you went with the abbreviated menu that's $185pp without booze, plus I believe they're still a no-tipping establishment.

full menu with wine pairing is about 1,000 dollars..  abbreviated menu is 400 before drinks. 

Has the pairing price gone up? Last I looked it was $115, so a little over $800 for two after tax. Still a huge splurge, of course. 

You can definitely get out for under $1,000, though. Just pass on the wine pairing and get a couple bottles. Or if you're a beer fan (which I think goes better with Scandinavian flavors, personally) you could spend $30-$60 on drinks per person, getting the price down under $700 for two, even. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

This is awesome.

Posted Images

when I was there their beer list had three things on it that weren’t interesting.

Only three? I thought I recalled seeing a picture of the drinks menu that had about a dozen - about half drafts and half bottles, and a couple larger-format ones. Not a huge list, but enough variation to pair a meal with.

With all the great brewing going on in the Nordic countries these days, it's a shame they don't have a more expansive list. Though now that I think of it, the original Aska had a shitty beer list - mostly Bud, Modelo, etc.

I have noticed at some higher-end places the beverage choices seem designed to steer one towards the pairing. A few obligatory beers, and wine lists where anything decent by the bottle would cost more than a pairing. Or by-the-glass prices so high the pairing seems like a bargain in comparison.

Looking for a Japanese place for a friend. $250/beverage included ceiling. Shoji looks booked. Thoughts?

I think Shoji would break $250 before beverages. As would Uchu.

I guess it depends on if they want a tasting/kaiseki or a la carte.

For kaiseki - maybe one of the newer midtown places? Mifune or Suzuki? Or go with a classic like Kyo Ya in the East Village. Mifune has tastings for $85 and $125, the other two $150 - the latter price point doesn't leave a ton of wiggle room for fancy drinks after tax and tip, but certainly they're doable with a few Sapporos or bottle of house sake.

Other options might be EN Japanese Brasserie ($120) - a bit scene-ier, if they're into that. Or Hakubai (various price points... the splurge menus with the Miyazaki A5 may not be doable.)

Not sure what that's a propos, but those restaurants aren't competing with Hearth--except in the broad sense that all restaurants in a neighborhood are competing.  They're all straight Italian-American restaurants, including a number of red sauce places. Hearth certainly isn't that.

[/quotec

Not that it matters in this context, but Cacio e Vino is not your typical red sauce place. It's more or less Sicilian rather than Neapolitan or "Italian-American."