Sneakeater

Micromanage My Life

Beatrice is a weird place. If you keep an eye on price it's not unreasonable for nabe, scene, etc. But the upsell is relentless and the prices on the upsell market priced stuff are unconscionable. I like it, but it can totally be a clip joint if not approached with eyes wide open.

Sounds like Sammy's.

Looking at the menu now.  I would hope they are buying good ingredients, but they're not (for the most part) buying expensive ingredients.  In the middle of that menu: oxtail, pork shoulder, hen (chicken? guinea fowl?) and leeks.  Ten years ago, Plotnicki would have said, oxtails aren't high-end.

They are now.

Looking at the menu now.  I would hope they are buying good ingredients, but they're not (for the most part) buying expensive ingredients.  In the middle of that menu: oxtail, pork shoulder, hen (chicken? guinea fowl?) and leeks.  Ten years ago, Plotnicki would have said, oxtails aren't high-end.

They are now.

When your food cost is set around 20%, every ingredient is high end.

The deliberations continue ... 

Pastis 2.0 is OUT !

The wife wants to go to some place that I had never heard of ... she has a ressie ... at a desired hour ... so Chambo was his gentlemanly self, as if that even needs to be stated, and immediately instinctively said "Well if she wants to go, let's go ! "

I asked her worser half if he could repeat the name of the resto ... he did ... and he also said that maybe I should see if folks have an opinion about it ... and as long as people think it's pretty good, he said she'd enjoy going there. 

I said "Sounds like a plan to me ! "

Oh Boy ! Any chance it got any better ?

If not, I've got a very delicate situation on my hands ...

Dessert wine pairing for . . . a "pina colada cake"?

I see many recommendations on what to offer for a coconut dessert. That I should pick something to compete with the sweet, e.g. Sauternes and Tokaji. A few suggestions for something sparkly.

And someplace else on the interwebs: well-aged rum. Except by dessert everyone will already be too hammered for rum.

It's interesting, in Germany they love their cake but would never serve it for dessert. it's usually eaten in the afternoon as a between-meal with coffee. That said I like the bubbles idea as it adds some lightness. Something nice but not too serious like a Ferrari Demi-Sec? 

• Like 1

Dessert wine pairing for . . . a "pina colada cake"?

I see many recommendations on what to offer for a coconut dessert. That I should pick something to compete with the sweet, e.g. Sauternes and Tokaji. A few suggestions for something sparkly.

And someplace else on the interwebs: well-aged rum. Except by dessert everyone will already be too hammered for rum.

Maybe a sherry at the drier end. More typical as an aperitif but I could see the flavors working together. One with some saline notes could enhance the tropical flavors in an unexpected way.

If going the sweet route, I’m feeling Vouvray/Chenin Blanc more than Sauternes or Tokaji, personally. Something with a good acidic backbone.

Though yeah, rum (or a decent brandy, if only to not be as obvious) does seem like the best possible option. If it’s doable, maybe have a wine and a liquor available, people can choose what they prefer/can handle.

• Like 1

I got a Vouvray. I'm sure it'll work but if not, the host already has several aged rums (and rhums).

Looking forward to dessert!

Beatrice is a weird place. If you keep an eye on price it's not unreasonable for nabe, scene, etc. But the upsell is relentless and the prices on the upsell market priced stuff are unconscionable. I like it, but it can totally be a clip joint if not approached with eyes wide open.

AB and Sneakeater are both exactly right.  The crowd is absurd.  The bartenders are good.  I do like it in the winter for a filling meal that isn’t absurd if you order carefully.  For example, the kale salad followed by the meat pie with a couple cocktails, tax and tip will set you around $125-130 and keep you full until dinner the next night.