Micromanage My Life

Need a place for 4 12/18. Would love to do Frenchette but cant run no resy I think.  Pretty adventurous crowd.  Only constraint is staying in Manhattan.  Don't want to do tasting menu place.

Thoughts?

I find Bessou underrated and fairly easy to get into. And there are times when you can just waltz right in to Ko's front bar area.

Ko Bar was my pick too but I think he wants a place he can reserve?
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

This is awesome.

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

Posted Images

Need a place for 4 12/18. Would love to do Frenchette but cant run no resy I think.  Pretty adventurous crowd.  Only constraint is staying in Manhattan.  Don't want to do tasting menu place.

Thoughts?

5:30 & 9PM tables at Atoboy at the moment. For how long, I dunno. 

Also on the modern Korean tip, Osamil, O:N, or Hwaban (the last of which I think disconnected their Resy account)

Aquavit takes reservations for tables in the bar now, which is a la carte. I mean, it's $32 Cod sandwiches and whatnot a la carte, but we're used to seeing fancified burgers at that price, so why not a fancified filet-o-fish, I guess? 

A quick search of places I have saved in "My Favorites" in Opentable (which I'm sure will vary from your favorites... hell, I wouldn't even call all of "my favorites" my favorites) shows prime time at Cosme, Beatrice, Kyo Ya, Txikito, Mifune, Suzuki, Indian Accent, both Empellons, Hearth... only a couple of those grace the boundary of what I might think of as "adventurous" but I suppose that's a relative term. 

• 4 months later...

Since this is where most of the Muncan discussion resides, I would just like to say that the pork cracklings (of course they have some unknown German/Balkan name) included in my Muncan delivery today are like some of the best food I've ever eaten.

• Like 1

Since this is where most of the Muncan discussion resides, I would just like to say that the pork cracklings (of course they have some unknown German/Balkan name) included in my Muncan delivery today are like some of the best food I've ever eaten.

I’ve been very tempted to get some delivery from them, but the delivery fee is so high for where I am I think I’d have to order like $250 worth of food to really make it worth it.

I'm coming up on a medium-sized birthday, one for which I would have taken a short international trip under less pandemic-y circumstances. But that ain't happening, of course, nor can I plan a fancy-pants dinner out. But maybe i can plan a fancy-pants dinner in? Like, high-ish end sushi? I'm sifting through the take-out options, like Shoji and Sushi Azabu. Opinions? Suggestions? Doesn't necessarily have to be sushi, but I feel like that would travel best.

I'm coming up on a medium-sized birthday, one for which I would have taken a short international trip under less pandemic-y circumstances. But that ain't happening, of course, nor can I plan a fancy-pants dinner out. But maybe i can plan a fancy-pants dinner in? Like, high-ish end sushi? I'm sifting through the take-out options, like Shoji and Sushi Azabu. Opinions? Suggestions? Doesn't necessarily have to be sushi, but I feel like that would travel best.

Agreed with Anthony on Sushi not traveling well. The rice will congeal/cool.

Getting a beautiful dry-aged steak and some great decadent wine could be a way to go. Easy enough to cook.

We’re having “fancy dinner nights” every couple weeks. Saturday I’ll be attempting to do some sort of riff on the Tout le Lapin from Le Coucou. Next round we might do “classical luxury night” with dry-aged steak, lobster, and caviar (but us being us, we’ll plate it nicely for a photo op but then stuff it all into tacos.)

If you don’t feel like cooking a full meal yourself, there’s a few good options delivering now. Beatrice Inn usually has a dry-aged steak for two on the menu. Though I suppose ordering in a steak, you might still want flash sear it when you’re ready to eat to “reactivate” the crust.

Marea is delivering - fresh pastas travel better than dried I find, though my current favorite there (the lobster pansotti) isn’t on the delivery menu.

You could always hire a private chef. Disinfect them on the way in the door, don’t hang out with them in the kitchen.

Regalia seems to have some amazing products if you are willing to cook. Sushi won't be perfect but if there's a good place very close to you is imagine it'd be better than not eating sushi. My fave cagen is also doing takeout of you are anywhere near.

Don't forget that small h doesn't eat meat.

Yes, thank you, that does seem like something I should have mentioned.

Agreed with Anthony on Sushi not traveling well. The rice will congeal/cool..

Marea is delivering...

That's true, and I like sashimi better anyway, and I can make sushi rice at home. Marea or something like it is a very real possibility. I guess I'll have to do some calling around.

My fave cagen is also doing takeout of you are anywhere near.

Regalia seems to have some amazing products if you are willing to cook.

I am pretty near! I don't see a way to order online - do you call for pickup of the omakase? And I assume you mean Regails? Which dovetails nicely with...

Beluga caviar and vintage champagne, in oligarch quantities.

It's not THAT big a birthday. But caviar and champagne would be nice. Getting the timing right on shipping might be pretty tricky.

These are all very fine suggestions. Much appreciated.