Micromanage My Life

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

This is awesome.

Posted Images

All walking distance

DURING THE DAY:

Tom's

Agi's Café

The Social (just ice cream)

DAY AND NIGHT:

Islands (not 100% clear they're doing dine-in, but I think they are)

LOOK Thai by Plant Love House (closed 3:00-4:30)

EVENING/NIGHT:

Oxalis

Rangoon

Lowerline (open during the day Saturday & Sunday)

hubby and i are thinking about visiting next spring. this is several months away but you would be surprised how quickly time flies.

my in-laws are in an assisted living space in the wilderness of southwestern new jersey and i don’t think we’ll be spending much time eating out when we’re with them. once we’ve done our obligatory family duties, we’re looking at 4-5 days in nyc.

what’s good right now? anything notable? our time in the city will be close to our anniversary in may and hubby is as much a foodie as i am. 

grazie fin d’ora

(replying to mitchells & sneak)

I had a miserable experience at islands over the summer and would strongly recommend eating anywhere else.

ursula is good but closes early.

gold star beer counter is very close and has one of the best draft lists in nyc. very limited food though.

My last couple visits to The Islands did not compare to my meals at their old location. Not sure if there was a Chef Shuffle but it all seemed a bit… bland? No longer the destination it used to be. (Nor is there the fun of climbing the rickety staircase to the 5’7” dining attic anymore.)

+1 for Rangoon. 

couple other places perhaps of interest:

Ix isn’t too far, for something a little different - Guatemalan. 

The appropriately named for this thread Mitchell’s Soul Food (Though I haven’t been in awhile. Can’t imagine it’s changed much.)

Alta Calidad isn’t nearly as “innovative” as they claim to be but they’re not bad. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, small h said:

Not if YOU. If I

If I were driving to Flushing, I'd go to Wu's instead. Simply because it's closer and causes way less aggravation than being in Flushing, in a car, looking for parking, etc.

Of course, if this place...

649619590_1970sMainTavern.thumb.jpg.6a33213ec71ca28347efbe2740ceb0dc.jpg

Was still on the corner of Main and Roosevelt, I'd be there in a second. It was a favorite stop when driving a cab, before bringing it back in for the night.

30 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

649619590_1970sMainTavern.thumb.jpg.6a33213ec71ca28347efbe2740ceb0dc.jpg

Switch ethnicity and I'm reminded of being drafted along with handful of other high school musicians to the Sciot's band that played at local events, fairs, parades etc.    "Uniform" was kelly green satin chalwar (pantaloons), red satin sleeveless vest, gold velvet, black braid trimmed bolero and red fez.    I remember little of these events except that this outfit was bleepin' hot at the late summer state fair in Sacramento.   And that I was one of a very few who didn't get plotzed after a performance.