Micromanage My Life

4 hours ago, small h said:

…and it needs to be within a :30 drive….

After reading an article in yesterday’s NY Times about current very serious traffic congestion especially in the Outer Boroughs (because people are choosing to drive rather than take public transportation), I hope your short drive doesn’t become a much, much longer one.  

Enjoy your Chinese food and Happy New Year!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

This is awesome.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any good omakases left in NYC for around $125? I'm trying to plan a birthday dinner for my girlfriend and she's never had omakase before, but I'm trying not to spend $1000.  There are a ton of $400 places nowadays, but almost none that I can find under $150 that either (i) don't kick you out after 30-60 minutes or (ii) don't put gold leaf and truffle and shit on the sushi.

11 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

Are there any good omakases left in NYC for around $125? I'm trying to plan a birthday dinner for my girlfriend and she's never had omakase before, but I'm trying not to spend $1000.  There are a ton of $400 places nowadays, but almost none that I can find under $150 that either (i) don't kick you out after 30-60 minutes or (ii) don't put gold leaf and truffle and shit on the sushi.

You'll have to go to Queens (specifically Jackson Heights / Elmhurst) for a sub-$100 omakase at Sushi On Me. Yorkville gem Tanoshi is around $125 all-in. Uogashi has a $135 (and $185) option. Rosella, which is run by three white guys and features sustainably caught seafood and natural wines, has one for $150.

Less than $400 but more than $150: Nakaji in Chinatown and The Ash Room at Sushi Noz omakases run $225.

12 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

Ikumi is a bit more (160 iirc) but a lot less than 400. 

11 hours ago, GerryOlds said:

You'll have to go to Queens (specifically Jackson Heights / Elmhurst) for a sub-$100 omakase at Sushi On Me. Yorkville gem Tanoshi is around $125 all-in. Uogashi has a $135 (and $185) option. Rosella, which is run by three white guys and features sustainably caught seafood and natural wines, has one for $150.

Less than $400 but more than $150: Nakaji in Chinatown and The Ash Room at Sushi Noz omakases run $225.

I've heard of Sushi On Me, but it seems to be a little bit more about getting shitfaced on unlimited sake than eating good fish? I forgot about Tanoshi, that could be a good option (and appears to still be BYO). I went there years ago and liked it. I went to Uogashi when it was Shimizu and liked it a lot. I'm on the waitlist for Rosella.

10 hours ago, Orik said:

Ikumi is a bit more (160 iirc) but a lot less than 400. 

Looks like it's up to $180 now. After sake/tip/tax that's a little more than I want to spend.

1 hour ago, Tubbs said:

Sushi Aoki in Fort Lee NJ...5 minute jitney ride over the bridge from the GWB station (or if it's nice you can even walk). $120-150 and byo. 

As someone who lives in Gramercy with no car, that would be real hike!

On 1/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, sweatshorts said:

Looks like it's up to $180 now. After sake/tip/tax that's a little more than I want to spend.

Understood. It's just that with current sushi fish and express shipping prices anything below ~$150 is going to involve some painful compromises (worse fish, less fish, kicking you out in 30 minutes, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find a date night-ish spot in Manhattan that opens books 2 weeks out that isn't Korean or sushi. Pretty much everywhere I've looked is booked up sat 12tj except 63 Clinton which has a 2x price valentine's menu...though maybe I'll do that anyway. 

Hmm I've actually heard good things but I can't for the life of me recall if that was pre or post. It all blends  Anyway that's booked out too, plus looking at the tasting menu (only option) I can see that the Mrs would veto it. 

• 4 weeks later...