Micromanage My Life

Before Fort Greene hit the tipping point, it was probably my favorite neighborhood to eat out in: the places were all highly integrated (unlike in my neighborhood, where everybody but me was then black). And not just racially, either: there were always two-tops of womem obviously on dates together, men obviously on dates together, and women and men obviously on dates together. And not just dates: they were also age-integrated, plenty of early middle-aged (as we then were) married couples like my wife and me.

It made me realize how white the dining scene in New York really is.

So what I recommend is that you take your friends to dinner in Fort Greene in the late '90s.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

This is awesome.

Posted Images

The reason I posted that was that my first response, upon reading your post, was, "this is ridiculous, where could a black person feel uncomfortable in New York 2014?" And basically, I still feel that way. None of the places I go to would make black people feel unwelcome or uncomfortable. But they wouldn't be preponderant, if they care about that.

It hasn't been a remote issue for me with black friends in many years, but it could also be that my black friends are in general more stylish, more charming, and better looking than I am.

And if you think I'm kidding, think again.

Certainly I've never witnessed this sort of incident myself, and it's difficult for me to imagine the New York restaurants of 2014 exhibiting any overt unpleasantness that was racially motivated [maybe, someone might mistakenly assume completely typical snobbery / exclusiveness / can't-be-botheredness of certain establishments was racially motivated]. I'm not claiming contemporary New York is a postracial / colourblind utopia, but I suspect most racism is going to manifest in rather more subtle, indirect, or 'structural' forms.

In any case, if no one has seen anything of that sort, I expect I can book one of my usual spots. [somewhat unexpectedly, the most racially integrated establishment I've been to in Manhattan is the Rose Bar.]