Micromanage My Life

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So next Tuesday I'm taking some Gullible Young Woman to see Karol Armitage at the Joyce.   For dinner after, I'm thinking of two places: Aldea and La Luncheonette.   Aldea, obviously, is one of t

This is awesome.

If you need to put on music for the right mood, .

Posted Images

Duly noted, thanks!

Would be nice to customize a sampling. Three or four of them maybe. I seem to recall a couple combo options around when they first opened, no?

Damn, the tagine dagneau and beef cheek look soo f’ng good too.

No no no. You're going down the road to making a BIG mistake.

Do NOT skip the main dishes at Bar Boulud for the charcuterie. Have one of the charcuterie items each for a starter (skipping if you must the Rillons Croustillants) and then have an entree each. The entrees are better than the charcuterie.

(The desserts are also exceptional [and better than the charcuterie], but I'd be surprised if you make it that far.)

Duly noted, thanks!

Would be nice to customize a sampling. Three or four of them maybe. I seem to recall a couple combo options around when they first opened, no?

Damn, the tagine dagneau and beef cheek look soo f’ng good too.

No no no. You're going down the road to making a BIG mistake.

Do NOT skip the main dishes at Bar Boulud for the charcuterie. Have one of the charcuterie items each for a starter (skipping if you must the Rillons Croustillants) and then have an entree each. The entrees are better than the charcuterie.

(The desserts are also exceptional [and better than the charcuterie], but I'd be surprised if you make it that far.)

We've been to Bar Boulud three times, and I've actually had a very disappointing main course there: scallops that were supposed to be à la meunière but failed utterly in that regard. And the polenta accompaniment, a major incentive for me to order this dish, was a really meager portion.

My husband loved his Boudin Noir.

I agree with you about their desserts. The Fragaria at the end of that meal was fabulous!

Photos

Brooklyn, 3rd Avenue, around 6th Street-ish.

Not sure I know this neighborhood but will be around there at the weekend. Any nearby suggestions for drinks/food? I know I read something about The Bell House recently, but it may have been about performances rather than eating and drinking.

There is a pastry place at 3rd and 8th called 4 and 20 Blackbirds that sells pies and baked goods. I don't really like the pies (although my pastry obsessed wife likes some of them) but the coffee is good and some of the non-pie baked goods are excellent. The mushroom and cheese savory pie, which is really more of a hot pocket served cold, and the mozzarella scone are both highly recommended but I thought the sticky bun was disgusting. All of the pastries have little tweaks to them. I don't know if they're open in the evening but I enjoy getting lunch there. Cash only, no booze.

The Bellhouse is a nice place to drink (pretty sure you can go to the bar without paying for the show), and there is a branch of Draft Barn at 3rd and 12th that has an OK (B+) tap list and an extensive bottle list. Don't know about the food, although I think they do serve it. I don't know if the Bellhouse serves food.

Mission Dolores, which is at 4th and what would be negative one, has a solid A tap list and a pleasant atmosphere. I've found the crowd to skew a little older, which is probably what I find so pleasant. No food IIRC.

Prime Meats isn't too bad of a walk if you haven't been.

Brooklyn, 3rd Avenue, around 6th Street-ish.

At 3rd and 9th is Bar Tano, sister bar to Bar Toto, one of my haunts. The menu is similar - nicely made paninis (I recommend the sopressata or capacollo versions) and burgers. They give you a mountain of very good shoestring fries with most dishes. Surprisingly good grilled pizzas too - so many other places screw this up. I actually haven't been here but the menu is nearly identical to their sister bar. Steve has been here and likes it. Aside from his views on chicken Steve is quite trustworthy.

Desperate shot here. East side, lower 60s. Sports bar and reasonably pleasant cocktail-ish bar for this long evening ahead?

I understand that Subway Inn may be the best answer to both needs, but I thought I'd ask.

Bemelmans and Pleiades are just that unnecessary 10 blocks too far uptown.