Major League Baseball 2011

Not sure if this goes here or under surrealism. MLB and the commissioner have taken control of the Dodgers! I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but has that ever happened before? I suppose this is better than having the dueling McCourts in charge.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this goes here or under surrealism. MLB and the commissioner have taken control of the Dodgers! I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but has that ever happened before? I suppose this is better than having the dueling McCourts in charge.

It has happened - with the Montreal Expos franchise until it moved to Washington DC.

It may occur again this season unless the Wilpons are willing to compromise further.

It has happened - with the Montreal Expos franchise until it moved to Washington DC.

It may occur again this season unless the Wilpons are willing to compromise further.

The Mets are in trouble as well?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Worst start in team history, owners being sued for billions and trying to sell off a bit of the team to anyone mug enough to put up money for a non-controlling share in a failing organization. Regular Citifield seats available online for $3 up, premium seats for around $30.

I would say that they are in trouble. And I am not just trying to trash talk Mets fans. My heart is not in it this year. (Unless they start in on the Yankees, of course.)

The Dodgers story is interesting to me, not least because I had no idea Selig had these doomsday powers, which seem impregnable to any legal challenge by the owner.

There must be some agreement the owners have signed with the league that compromises their fifth amendment rights.

From a very quick scan of the press, it's the exemption from monopoly laws plus an MLB clause which allows Selig to do just about anything to preserve the sport's integrity. Who knew?

its pretty gray what allows him to do that. The NHL which does not have the anti-trust exemption has taken teams over in the past. The origin of the anti-trust exemption has to do with the minor leagues back in the day. There are lots of things that the leagues do which seem to violate anti-trust exemptions (salary caps for example) The DoJ isn't really interested in dealing with it all.

If its not clear - MLB is the only sport with an explicit anti-trust exemption, but all of the other leagues behave collusively as well.

ETA: Its also interesting to see how the EU's much more stringent support of anti-trust regulation has actually promoted the dreadful state of competitive domestic football in 'yurp.

From a very quick scan of the press, it's the exemption from monopoly laws plus an MLB clause which allows Selig to do just about anything to preserve the sport's integrity. Who knew?

Here's another take on the situation.

link is broken. Bissinger is a fucking blowhard who peaked in 1988.

works for me. Bissinger? this is Weisman.

Here's another take on the situation.

link is broken. Bissinger is a fucking blowhard who peaked in 1988.

works for me. Bissinger? this is Weisman.

still broken for me. Thought it was this