Contador

Wiggins

Schelck, A

Cavendish (at long last)

Petacchi

Hushovd

Mountains:

A bunch of nonentities.

OK, nothing very controversial except Wiggins over Schleck but the latter hasn't looked good recently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two good races this week - Vuelta and the new race in Colorado with a stupid long name - USA Pro Cycling Challenge. The later features Evans, the Schleck Bros., Basso, CVV, and other top riders. Pretty impressive peloton considering the first year of the race. Vuelta seems a bit ho-hum as of yet. Took a couple of days before I tracked down Pelkey aka Live Update Guy doing his live feed of the race. Seems he was canned by VeloNews but has gone out on his own.

• 8 months later...

Time Warner dropped Universal on January 1, so we're missing the crappy Giro coverage. Fortunately, there's a live TV feed available through Il Gazzetto dello Sport. I only understand a fraction of what the announcers are saying, but it's fun to listen to them. Supplemented with the LUG live blog and I'm fairly sated.

• 1 year later...

The speeds in the peloton have been quite high this year which makes me nervous. And yet I'm oddly hopeful. The condemnation from the peloton when Di Luca tested positive during the Giro was pretty scathing. It seems like there's been a culture shift.

My biz partner who is a extremely keen relatively high level amateur racer has been arguing that froome's output is rapidly leaving the range of the plausible. I suspect today's performance will take him out of the range. I'll find out Monday.

I'll ask him about the Peloton - he had not mentioned the speeds as being too high.

Quintana has been fun to watch. So calm, cool, collected. His face doesn't give anything away. I got to say, despite Froome wearing yellow for the past week, this has been a pretty good tour. Some exciting stages. I'm looking forward to the double over Alpe d'Huez on Thursday. it's going to be a beast.