Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Bonner

Georgian Homestays

At the risk of having ten men with unpronounceable names show up at my home with sticks I'll put this here.

NYT had an article on doing homestays in agriturisimo type settings in Georgia. Here.

Back in 2005 I did three of these homestays, one in Kutaisi, one in Borjomi and a final one at a vineyard in Kahketi. Really some of the best times I've ever had. Amazing food, amazing hospitality. They give you cups with round bottoms for a reason. Really I've been searching for Georgian food to compare ever since I made that trip. If anything the times article undersells how great it was.

• Like 1

Perhaps apropos of nothing...in the 90s, there was a Georgian restaurant in Seattle called Pirosmani. Seemed odd when it opened since it was a fine dining place serving a cuisine from a place most people didn't even know the location of. The food was great and unique. I can well believe visiting Georgia is a great food experience.

Perhaps apropos of nothing...in the 90s, there was a Georgian restaurant in Seattle called Pirosmani. Seemed odd when it opened since it was a fine dining place serving a cuisine from a place most people didn't even know the location of. The food was great and unique. I can well believe visiting Georgia is a great food experience.

Laura Dewell (the chef/owner) is still around - has a new non-profit (I'm assuming that, but it might not be so organized) with some interesting participation: Green Plate Special

Wow - a fundraiser tomorrow - good timing.