Grantland.com

I've been curious about whether a sort of sophisticated New Yorker cum Lapham's Quarterly on sports, launched on an ESPN platform, could work.

I will follow along, but it hasn't hit its stride yet. A gigantic - I mean thousands of words - piece on cricket today, written by two guys who avowedly don't understand or much like the game.

Who's that aimed at? I'm not going to read something of that length written by uninformed journalists. I'm sure people who don't care about cricket will skip it.

That leaves?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't read a lot of sports blogs do you. I actually laughed out loud when you called it

a sort of sophisticated New Yorker cum Lapham's Quarterly

that's about a million miles from its target, despite the pretentious name. I mean they have a reality TV fantasy league. I bet Lewis Lapham wants in on that.

BTW the guys who wrote the cricket piece (surely aimed at an american audience, and meant to be comic) wrote "Fire Joe Morgan'which was sort of a sabremetric loving group of sitcom writers mocking "old-school" baseball folks and their willful disdain for anything based in actual statistical analysis. Read it, its pretty funny. I'm sure the target audience is people like me who know who the writers are, and are amused by them.

Of course I read sports blogs, and yeah, Lapham's was hyperbole. But Grantland is publishing exceptionally long pieces for any kind of blog, let alone one on sports, hosted on an ESPN platform.

If this isn't unusual, who else is doing it? And if those two writers can get people who don't care about cricket to read 12,000 words on it, I am struck dumb by the loyalty they command.

I need to give the Pink Pig readers 12,000 words on pork pies and see how they cope.

Of course I read sports blogs, and yeah, Lapham's was hyperbole. But Grantland is publishing exceptionally long pieces for any kind of blog, let alone one on sports, hosted on an ESPN platform.

If this isn't unusual, who else is doing it? And if those two writers can get people who don't care about cricket to read 12,000 words on it, I am struck dumb by the loyalty they command.

I need to give the Pink Pig readers 12,000 words on pork pies and see how they cope.

Well "The National" stuff is because its something sportswriters care a lot about. Frankly it bored me to tears.

I guess the tremendous length of the cricket piece had to do with the deal they made to get the FJM guys to write it. Also Simmons himself is famously resistant to editing, so I'd expect that to be an ongoing issue with the site.

Also if you haven't noticed - Americans love "WTF is this" articles about sports we don't watch or understand.

Of course I'd read 12k words on pork pies.

bill simmons' readership: where you find an intersection between those who think "the shawshank redemption" is one of the greatest films of the last 25 years and those who think david foster wallace is the greatest novelist of the last 50 years.

bill simmons' readership: where you find an intersection between those who think "the shawshank redemption" is one of the greatest films of the last 25 years and those who think david foster wallace is the greatest novelist of the last 50 years.

I hate it when you are right.

(its the footnotes that gave it away isn't it?)

I guess that could describe me if I had any idea who David Foster Wallace was....

Grantland is ESPN deciding to indulge Bill Simmons' verbosity. I like his stuff, there's just too much of it. There are few other writers, particularly sports writers, that make me laugh out loud as regularly. His focus on Boston and LA must be particularly annoying to NY'ers...

• 2 months later...

I am enjoying some of this content. Does it make me a crotchety old wrinkly to say that it would be so much more fun and comfortable to read if it was a magazine? These are long pieces and scrolling gets old. Or is it this I need an e-reader for?

most of it is crap. the pop culture pieces are particulary cringe-worthy.

the best thing on grantland.com so far, by far, is colston whitehead's series of reports from the world series of poker. check those out if you haven't already. he's a real-life novelist and so a few levels above everyone else on that site.