Rail Paul

[Hoboken] Pilsener Haus & Biergarten

That's the same Thomas Ferlesch.

He's been cooking at Pilsener Haus for about a year, I believe. It was he who overhauled the menu. Vicki Hyman's piece from the Star-Ledger mentions the changeover.

Also, this was fun news last week, as posted on their Facebook page:

Exciting News at the Biergarten: Slovakia’s President Takes a Break from U.N. General Assembly To Celebrate Oktoberfest at Pilsener Haus & Biergarten!
Last night, Slovakian President Ivan Gasparovic was hosted by Pilsener Haus owners Andy Ivanov & Ladi Sebestyan (Czechoslovakians by birth, now NJ residents). Ladi says, “Pilsener Haus is in part a reflection of the biergartens we knew growing up in our home country, and it was a special honor to welcome President Gasparovic to the biergarten we’ve built here in New Jersey, especially during the height of our traditional Oktoberfest celebration.”
After long days of meeting with world leaders, including President Obama, and working to make the world a better place, few things are more satisfying than a frosty mug of pilsener and a platter of schweinshaxen (roasted pork shank).
President Gasparovic, Miroslav Lajcak, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic, Permanent Representative of the Slovak Republic to the UN Frantisek Ruzicka, and Peter Kmec, the Ambassador of the Slovak Republic to the United States, all graciously took the time to cross the Hudson and visit Pilsener Haus & Biergarten. PROST!!

• Like 1

I will add that the menu has always been way better than you'd expect and that it caters amazingly well to a diverse crowd -- yeah, you can get a hot dog and fries, or you can get a well-prepped weisswurst with some excellent crusty bread and some outstanding sauerkraut. Excellent mussels, the pork cheeks with pretzel dumplings are thoroughly craveable, schnitzel is exemplary, sauerbraten is unconventional but very good, and recent new addition of roasted pork shoulder (I forget the "Viennese" name they give it -- schwein-something) with boiled potatoes and creamed spinach goes down very easily.

And having a really awesome list of tap beers that are truly in the bierhall style is just icing on the cake. They really could've dumbed this place down and still make money hand over fist. But they didn't.

The Pilsener has the potential to get an enormous bump from the so-called Rockefeller project recently in the news. The several blocks of Hoboken controlled by that developer are adjacent (within two blocks) of the Pilsener. Significantly, a proposed new train station along the light rail is just at the end of the block from the Pilsener. With the station at one end of the block and the weekday ferry terminal a few blocks east, that's a big plus.

(Hope they own the building...)

Good points. I don't know if they own the building, nor do I know if that project is moving forward. If it does, yes, a lot of great potential there, for many businesses. That's part of development/re-development, etc.

I don't know the details but I had heard something along the lines of the initial report (done by the town) had said that at this time, only a small portion was able to be developed (at this point). Thus, more work and due diligence had to be done. At least that's what the Mayor was pushing for, LOL.

Again, I don't know the details. There is a great deal of potential there, and not only in Hoboken. I see a very significant project getting ready in Jersey City, and not on the "gold coast" so to speak.

Thanks again for the comments.

(snip)

Again, I don't know the details. There is a great deal of potential there, and not only in Hoboken. I see a very significant project getting ready in Jersey City, and not on the "gold coast" so to speak.

Thanks again for the comments.

Yes.

I ride the light rail from Exchange Place down to Bayonne a few times each year. Almost every trip reveals another multi-acre lot cleared out, newly fenced, preliminary site work underway, especially west/south of the Marin station past the Zeppelin beer hall and medical center complex.

Twenty years ago, the Morris Canal Basin was a junkyard of abandoned barges and junk yard docks. Now there are yacht docking points and multi-million dollar condos a few minutes from Wall Street. Likely won't be any different farther south.

Just a reminder that anyone seeking a place to watch the football matches should consider Pilsener Haus. Great selection of beer. Indoor and outdoor seating. Child friendly until 8pm

I haven't been to their affiliated Festhalle in Asbury Park, but I'd expect it's similar.