hmm.. well, i am exhausting my options.. I can go from China to Thailand, or Vietnam, I was thinking Japan but, I am nervous of radiation, I was thinking Russia perhaps.. I have a buddy I use to surf with in Thailand but, he is a whack a doo, i think. But, I think what I am going to do is fly into Shanghai. Drive up for business in Yangzhou and then on to jiang zhigang for more business and then fly from Shanghai and spend 2 days in Chengdu, two days in Beijing. then home. Do a brief run over both places..

actually, my father is going to come with me to Beijing.

go to japan. the radiation is about that same as connecticut.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems I may be going to Beijing (or 'jing as some may say) around the end of July (I know--hot as hell, humid). Just Beijing, not HK, not Shanghai, not any other place. Any hints on what to see o

Summer Palace Concert

Just rebooked my china trip that was cancelled due to Sandy.. Unfortunately, no time to have fun over there.. Just work.. Heading to a couple of cities. I was really excited to head to Beijing.. Oh well, next time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Will definitely try that. I was thinking more food/coffee/alcohol-wise - I'm from that part of China originally (and am there right now) and have seen a lot of the obvious tourist stuff on previous visits or while growing up.

Unexpectedly finding myself with a free day in Beijing. Any recommendations?

Hutong cooking lesson? http://www.hutongcuisine.com/

(Did this ages ago, instructor is really good at explaining proportions & feel. I still make the jiaozi, without a recipe.)

Other thing that was fun was an outing with the Beijing hikers. Mix of expats, permalocals & returnees.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

From a work colleague who visits regularly for family stuff and is reasonably into food.

You can find good cuisine from all parts of China in Beijing, but in my mind Beijing is best known for three types of food: 1) hot pot (especially lamb), 2) peking duck, and 3) chuan (aka northern Chinese style grilled meat on a stick).

Hot Pot: Ju Bao Yuan (on Niujie Street) has what’s considered by locals to be the best lamb hotpot. It’s a halal spot with a long history located in the Muslim community, so they take their lamb seriously. If the wait there is too long, Dong Lai Shun (a more well-known chain) is also pretty good.

Peking Duck: You can’t go wrong with any of the three most well-known chains (Siji Minfu, Quan Ju De, Da Dong) for Peking Duck. Each chain has a different taste profile, so it really depends on personal preference. Duck de Chine, which I haven’t tried, is considered by some to be the best duck in Beijing.

Chuan: Chuan is basically northern Chinese yakitori. There are a lot of street vendors that sell it, but if you don’t want diarrhea, then go to Henjiu Yiqian Zhishijia Chuandian. They bring you the skewers and you cook it yourself tableside.[\quote]