Four-Album Runs

Not many have put together a run of four or more great albums:

Zepplin - I, II, III, IV

Stones -- Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street

The Who -- Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers (I'd stick Who Are You on the end of the list, but I'm biased)

The Police -- Outlandos D'Amour, Regatta De Blanc, Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost in the Machine. (Not sure about this one.)

Discuss.

• Like 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many have put together a run of four or more great albums:   Zepplin - I, II, III, IV   Stones -- Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street   The Who -- Tommy, Who

don't smack me...

U2 - as much as they blow now - had a great four album run in the 80's. War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby. (we're pretending Rattle and Hum is a concert Album + an EP. Stone including LZ in his list makes me feel less dirty for including U2 in my list.

You could make an REM argument except - Murmur their first album is better than albums you would have to include in any run of 4. But still you can construct a run of 4 that compares well with The Police

Neil Young - if you go in order of actual recording - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, AFter the Gold Rush, Harvest, Tonight's the Night.

(I guess there are some who consider "On the Beach" a classic when viewed in hindsight, but contemporary opinion matters no?)

(Also we're tacitly saying every Beetles album is great right?)

What about Dylan?

the beatles had a 7 album run: "a hard day's night", "beatles for sale", "help", "rubber soul", "revolver", "sgt. pepper", "the white album".

dylan all the way from "the freewheelin'" down to the end of the 60s.

joni mitchell: "court and spark", "the hissing of summer lawns", "hejira", "don juan's reckless daughter"

elvis costello's first four or five.

elliott smith from "elliott smith" through "figure 8".

Good topic. Never mind Dylan and The Beatles: they do not permit rational discussion.

I thought of Costello, but I'd find it hard to make a case that the fourth album, Get Happy, was great rather than just quite good.

I'm not the biggest Springsteen fan, but this was an impressive run, even if you reject the first two:

1973: Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.

1973: The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle

1975: Born to Run (#3)

1978: Darkness on the Edge of Town

1980: The River

1982: Nebraska

1984: Born in the U.S.A.

It's hard to find four gems in a row. The Band comes close, but I can't really argue for Cahoots:

Music from Big Pink (1968)

The Band (1969)

Stage Fright (1970)

Cahoots (1971)

Moondog Matinee (1973)

Maybe there's a consecutive run of four great Van Morrison albums, but I can't spot it - usually some filler or a duff one gets in the way:

Van the Man

Springsteen from Greetings from Asbury Park, E-Street Shuffle, Born to Run, and Darkness on the Edge of Town.

ETA: Cross posted with Wilf, although I think The River breaks up the string of "great" albums.

If you rate Springsteen's first two albums highly, he might be credited with a seven album run. See above.

Cross-posting too: I thought The River qualified more easily than the first albums.

"The Ties That Bind" – 3:34

"Sherry Darling" – 4:03

"Jackson Cage" – 3:04

"Two Hearts" – 2:45

"Independence Day" – 4:50

[edit] Side two

"Hungry Heart" – 3:19

"Out in the Street" – 4:17

"Crush on You" – 3:10

"You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)" – 2:37

"I Wanna Marry You" – 3:30

"The River" – 5:01

[edit] Side three

"Point Blank" – 6:06

"Cadillac Ranch" – 3:03

"I'm a Rocker" – 3:36

"Fade Away" – 4:46

"Stolen Car" – 3:54

[edit] Side four

"Ramrod" – 4:05

"The Price You Pay" – 5:29

"Drive All Night" – 8:33

"Wreck on the Highway" – 3:54

I am grabbing these lists from Wikipedia.

elvis costello's first four or five.

I almost added Elvis, but I think Get Happy kills the run.

I forgot about Dylan and Springsteen, but I'd limit BRUCE!!!! to the first four. I don't think any of the subsequent albums are great, notwithstanding Born In The USA's somewhat successful album sales.

well does the run have to be the four best albums? Or at least include their greatest album? Stones' examples seem to be both.

I was thinking of four great albums in a row. I.e., My Generation doesn't make it (although I don't think it equals the later stuff). I'd be comfortable adding U2, despite how much they suck now (and have for years), and even removing The Police.

The second Springsteen was the best of all of them.

Also, the Who's best album BY FAR was The Who Sell Out.

Van Morrison almost had a four-album run: Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band and Street Choir (the joker in the deck -- but really, are we going to disparage any album that includes "Domino"?), Tupelo Honey.

Radiohead could be an interesting case. You could create a four album run of Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac with the middle two being easy cases for inclusion and the bookend albums being divisive. I would argue yes.