Four-Album Runs

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many have put together a run of four or more great albums:   Zepplin - I, II, III, IV   Stones -- Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street   The Who -- Tommy, Who

Talking Heads had a run of at least four, and I'd say five-- their first five records.

I go with 5 too.

I did consider them on my original list, but didn't think they quite got to masterpieces.

1. Zeppelin makes masturbatory guitar music for readers of Heavy Metal comic books. Plant's voice sounds like the raccoon fight behind my apartment yesterday.

2. Feelings about York's voice aside, Radiohead made the most consistently interesting music of the last decade. The minimalism of "How to Disappear Completely", the off-kilter jazz of "Life in a Glass House"? Great stuff.

3. AB, I think Amnesiac scrapes in. I appreciate the contra case.

4. Nirvana makes an interesting case. Nevermind and In Utero are no question great albums. I think Unplugged is as well, if you count it as a separate album. Bleach is better in hindsight. I say no.

You are kidding about Beyonce being in Salt & Peppa, right?

She's not the one who burned down Andre Rison's house?

Sorry. I was thinking of Mariah Carey.

Go back to your basement, vinyl, and dusty gramophone old man.

Yes, Stone managed a good question.

It's not so much that Radiohead suck, but that it's hard to acknowledge that those are all great albums even from the point of view of liking Radiohead. Same problem with Black Sabbath 4 - even if you don't think that Black Sabbath is dreadful soup to nuts, 4 isn't a classic.

The Ramones - almost, Road to Ruin strains it a bit. The Beach Boys, no. As for the Madonnas and Beyonces of this world, the albums are for the most part two or three singles plus filler. No big criticism - James Brown wasn't an album artist.

4. Nirvana makes an interesting case. Nevermind and In Utero are no question great albums. I think Unplugged is as well, if you count it as a separate album. Bleach is better in hindsight. I say no.

I'd only go with Nevermind but I'd kick in Unplugged. I don't think In Utero measures up.

It's not so much that Radiohead suck, but that it's hard to acknowledge that those are all great albums even from the point of view of liking Radiohead. Same problem with Black Sabbath 4 - even if you don't think that Black Sabbath is dreadful soup to nuts, 4 isn't a classic.

Disagree. If you view Radiohead as a rock band, you love the first two, begrudgingly include Kid A, bristle and kick out Amnesiac. If you view them as some sort of progressive, arty group, you probably see The Bends as radio fodder and keep the streak going through Amnesiac. That's why they make for an interesting discussion.