• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I'm going through and starring my favorite tracks and adding them to playlists but it dawns on me I don't quite understand the point. Can I get files of the songs or is it more like radio or Pandor

Let's not be defending the innovative sound of The Strokes, please. Credulity stretches only so far.

I almost bought a Sonos, because it integrates seamlessly into my Peachtree Nova. But I remembered that I only have one room.

But are they derivative whining non-entities?

There's nothing very original about them that I can hear but you wouldn't necessarily say, 'oh, they're just recycling X'.

I await your judgment of the Strokes and Interpol

(surely the brit contingent knows My Bloody Valentine?)

I wish they had a yearly rather than a monthly payment plan. I'm more inclined to pay for subscription services (e.g., Salon, Pandora One) that way. I have it on my home computer and the free version isn't bad, other than those intrusive interruptions. Unfortunately for me, I can't install the program on my work computer thanks to firewalls. :angry:

I wish they had a yearly rather than a monthly payment plan. I'm more inclined to pay for subscription services (e.g., Salon, Pandora One) that way. I have it on my home computer and the free version isn't bad, other than those intrusive interruptions. Unfortunately for me, I can't install the program on my work computer thanks to firewalls. :angry:

But if you pay, you can run it thru your smart phone.

I'm tempted to pay. The music available is pretty great. And the ability to hear someone else's playlist is pretty great.

But if you pay, you can run it thru your smart phone.

Ah, but I don't have one (or an iPad).

I use MOG which is essentially the same thing except MOG works seamlessly with Sonos (must be at the $9.99/month level). Even allows me to create and save a Sonos playlist that includes MOG songs and songs from my library.

I wish MOG had a better algorithm for their "radio station" function. If you choose and artist-only radio you might get different versions of the same song in very close succession. For example, a song from the original album release, one from an EP, and one from a live album might all play with only a song or two in between. Sort of annoying.

I think that MOG and Spotify are very similar. MOG has been available in the US for longer than Spotify.

Sonos is a whole-house, wireless music system that connects to the computer(s) in your house where your music library is stored to make it available to all of the various "zones" in your house. Each zone can play different music or you can group zones so two (or more) are playing the same thing at the same time. It connects to the internet to let you play radio, Pandora, and MOG. You can also connect things like a turntable to the Sonos and make that available throughout the house (we do that).

The system is very well designed and works right out of the box without much fiddling (unlike iTunes). It is a bit spendy but worth it.

• 1 month later...

If you have MOG it really is worth browsing through "Editor's Picks" section on the site. (Spotify should be similar.) A few of the picks that we've played at home recently:

• Hard Time Killin' Floor - Skip James
  • The Complete Chess Recordings - John Lee Hooker
  • The Monument Singles Collection - Roy Orbison
  • Moving Pictures - Rush
  • Black Monk Time - Monks
  • Out of Step - Minor Threat
  • Chamber Music Society - Esperanza Spalding
  • Night Hawk - Coleman Hawkins
  • Bird and Diz - Dizzy Gillespie

It's a great place to start when you don't know exactly what you are in the mood to hear.

Also, some of the playlists are really great. Esperanza Spalding's playlist is one of my favorites to play while getting stuff done at work. There's a Johnny Cash inspired one that has some gems (Merle Haggard, Hank Snow, Jimmie Rodgers, etc).