The Beatles

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This might be worth further analysis.   Something which occurred to me last night was that The Beatles, for all the hysterical female following of their early days, are musical Action Men. Their so

"Back in the USSR" in which Russia is a metaphor for womankind.

Not sure why, but I just got a kick out of you choosing to not use one screen name but use the other.

How could they miss it? I understand that any British geezer singing in a nasal regional accent will remind Americans of John Lennon, but please direct me to The Beatles track(s) which are the musical sources for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfTzdHCyP9w

I would never rely on Wikipedia, but its list of influences on this band ("jazz and folk music, classical and experimental music, psychedelic rock, hard rock and heavy metal,[2] new wave, gamelan, electronica and drum and bass") wouldn't be much improved by the addition of "Lennon and McCartney."

Since "psychedelic rock" encompasses that song's obvious antecedent "I Am the Walrus", "Lennon and McCartney" didn't have to be added to the list.

As I said above, you U.K. guys seem to think the Beatles were outside the mainstream of rock music, whereas in the U.S. we think they're dead center.

In a funny way, this mirrors an exchange Wilfrid and I had about the Hollies a couple of years ago.

In the U.K., the Hollies were classed as a pop group and thus not to be taken seriously.

Whereas in the U.S., they were just a British rock group like all others. We didn't draw that distinction.

...(t)hat song's obvious antecedent "I Am the Walrus"...

You're kidding. I guess this interesting: you are hearing "Walrus" as some kind of heavy experimentalism despite the fact that, unlike the KC track, it's a conventional 4/4 pop tune underneath the special effects. I hear it as Tin Pan Alley with psychedelic trappings.

I LIKE Tin Pan Alley.

I think where Brit rock went wrong was in casting off the Beatles' (and that generation's) attention to tight concise song structures.

That's why I think "I Am the Walrus" is, like, great and "20th Century Schizoid Man" is, like, not.

How could they miss it? I understand that any British geezer singing in a nasal regional accent will remind Americans of John Lennon, but please direct me to The Beatles track(s) which are the musical sources for this.

with some minor changes it would fit very nicely on the "white album" right in that "everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey", "sexy sadie", "helter skelter" sequence. but it also reminds me of earlier, less frenzied stuff like "nowhere man" (and not just because without that the king crimson song would have been called "21st century schizoid chap").

I think where Brit rock went wrong was in casting off the Beatles' (and that generation's) attention to tight concise song structures.

Isn't that the Beatles' fault? Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

I LIKE Tin Pan Alley.

I LOVE Tin Pan Alley, but that's not where Bob Fripp found that noise.

there's more to that song than just the noise, wilfrid. there's like a melody too.

That's an example of an epithet.

Yvonne and I were talking about this last night. I think one of the difficulties we have in hearing the Beatles in the Smiths or the Verve is not musical but a question of style. The Beatles are the band your mum liked. They are absolutely, definitively, positively not cool; only 40 times cooler than Freddie and the Dreamers and Herman's Hermits. They have no balls, no attitude*. Fucking blackbirds. When I'm 64. Yellow arsing submarines. Yeah, Yeah, sodding Yeah.

Fuck the fucking fuck off!

*Lennon developed attitude later: I'm rich so suck my dick.