The Beatles

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This might be worth further analysis.   Something which occurred to me last night was that The Beatles, for all the hysterical female following of their early days, are musical Action Men. Their so

"Back in the USSR" in which Russia is a metaphor for womankind.

Wilfrid on Saturday night -  

Posted Images

more proof that the beatles had no influence on their near contemporaries in england.

Gilmour would again discuss the Beatles in a 2015 issue of Mojo magazine

I really wish I had been in the Beatles,” he shared in the Mojo interview. “[They] taught me how to play guitar; I learnt everything. The bass parts, the lead, the rhythm, everything. They were fantastic.”

8 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Hey, let’s get that straw man!

And Ringo actually is/was the best drummer in The Beatles! (Just not a great drummer.)

I recently watched a 3-hour (!) interview or whatever you want to call it, with Pete Thomas. (Interestingly, Pete was a huge fanboy of Mitch Mitchell's, and actually got to meet Mitchell by basically hanging around in front of his estate and getting invited in).

As he said of both Ringo and Charlie - they were the perfect drummers for their bands.

And maybe were way more important than some people can bring themselves to give credit for.

Also - we should all look so good at 82.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, Wilfrid said:

Hey, let’s get that straw man!

if i recall correctly, your wiggle was that you never said the beatles didn't influence their near/contemporaries, only that they weren't a key influence.

to which david gilmour (not even in the same genre by most people's understanding) says:

“[They] taught me how to play guitar; I learnt everything. The bass parts, the lead, the rhythm, everything."

Just looking at Wikipedia and delving no deeper, that’s clearly not true about Gilmour, although I am sure he enjoyed saying it in an interview.

God knows what I said over the last thousand pages, but I hope I didn’t say The Beatles weren’t an influence on their contemporaries. A deplorable influence, yes.

BTW, amused and impressed to hear that Paul Wickens, who I was at school with, is still playing keyboards with McCartney. A very nice decades andc decades long gig for him.

• 2 weeks later...

here's robert fripp talking about how hearing "a day in the life" on the radio changed his life and made him realize he had to be a professional musician. i feel sorry for the poor sod: he has no idea wilfrid disagrees with him.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:51 PM, Wilfrid said:

God knows what I said over the last thousand pages, but I hope I didn’t say The Beatles weren’t an influence on their contemporaries. A deplorable influence, yes.

• 2 weeks later...