The Beatles

5 hours ago, mongo_jones said:

well, you can hardly blame me for the mixup when your secret love of mantovani and his orchestra is also well-known.

Mum and dad loved Mantovani, but also his much more proximate rival Joe Loss, Jewish from Spitalfields in the East End where they grew up; not only a big time bandleader in his day, but released endless albums which were in the same bins as Mantovani in the record store.

He did not, whether because of budget or taste, attempt Mantovani’s famous “music of the mountains” effect, which I am sure you’re familiar with as you mentioned the chap.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This might be worth further analysis.   Something which occurred to me last night was that The Beatles, for all the hysterical female following of their early days, are musical Action Men. Their so

"Back in the USSR" in which Russia is a metaphor for womankind.

Wilfrid on Saturday night -  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

The Yardbirds playing Graham Gouldman pop songs without The Beatles?  Graham Gouldman writing Graham Gouldman pop songs without The Beatles?  I'm not so sure.

No, The Yardbirds as they started out, as an electric blues band, straight out of the Alexis Korner/Cyril Davies scene. In May 1963 before “She Loves You” had even been released. Inconceivable their existence was caused by The Beatles. The Beatles doubtless created a market for them.

4 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

No, The Yardbirds as they started out, as an electric blues band, straight out of the Alexis Korner/Cyril Davies scene. In May 1963 before “She Loves You” had even been released. Inconceivable their existence was caused by The Beatles. The Beatles doubtless created a market for them.

The Yardbirds didn't stay that way, did they?  And the original Yardbirds weren't tremendously commercially successful, were they?

And then "Every Little Thing" comes on -- yeah, I'm listening to Beatles for Sale, one of their worst albums -- and I can't help but think, "how can anyone deny that these guys have an absolute mastery of White Rock usages?"

Is there a better White Rock song than this?  I wanna hear it.