The Beatles

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This might be worth further analysis.   Something which occurred to me last night was that The Beatles, for all the hysterical female following of their early days, are musical Action Men. Their so

"Back in the USSR" in which Russia is a metaphor for womankind.

Not sure why, but I just got a kick out of you choosing to not use one screen name but use the other.

And he also recorded Little Drummer Boy and The Laughing Gnome.

His primary influences being panto, mime and Anthony Newley.

I think there's a confusion between wanting to be The Beatles (cool, rich, world famous and able to get laid) and wanting to assimilate the musical influences of The Beatles. Yes, everybody wanted to be The Beatles in the first sense. Just about as funky as you can be.

And he also recorded Little Drummer Boy and The Laughing Gnome.

His primary influences being panto, mime and Anthony Newley.

And there is a large dose of Music Hall (not a million miles from panto) in the Beatles more egregiously twee offerings.

It's hopeless team, Wilfrid is Lear in the storm. Let's not go down this road again. I was at a bar trivia night last night and the theme for the bonus round was covers of songs written by John Lennon. It inspired me to look up the most covered songs in pop music. Over half were Beatles songs. Wilfrid will say this means nothing. I will suggest that it represents that at least something about this band was inspiring to many musicians, that they are somehow influenced by their song writing craft, but it will be to no avail. Leave the man his pathology, he seems pretty reasonable otherwise.

It's hopeless team, Wilfrid is Lear in the storm. Let's not go down this road again. I was at a bar trivia night last night and the theme for the bonus round was covers of songs written by John Lennon. It inspired me to look up the most covered songs in pop music. Over half were Beatles songs. Wilfrid will say this means nothing. I will suggest that it represents that at least something about this band was inspiring to many musicians, that they are somehow influenced by their song writing craft, but it will be to no avail. Leave the man his pathology, he seems pretty reasonable otherwise.

By all reports, he has a lovely daughter.

It's hopeless team, Wilfrid is Lear in the storm. Let's not go down this road again. I was at a bar trivia night last night and the theme for the bonus round was covers of songs written by John Lennon. It inspired me to look up the most covered songs in pop music. Over half were Beatles songs. Wilfrid will say this means nothing.

I linked to this upthread. It's really quite remarkable.

It's one thing to say that you don't like the Beatles. It's another to claim that they weren't influential.

It's not just Wilfrid. I just read an interview with some British person (or saw a play written by one -- something like that), where it was said, "It's like it's 1977 and you love the Sex Pistols and you hate the Beatles because your father liked them." That never happened here in the U.S. It's completely alien to our experience (as I said in another thread, the Dolls, the Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, Talking Heads: they all loved the Beatles). So we'll never understand the Brits, and they'll never understand us.

So we'll never understand the Brits, and they'll never understand us.

Not *all* Brits. Last August I pulled this list together of British artists who covered Beatles songs.

10cc, Applejacks, Atomic Kitten, Bananarama, Carl Barat, Jeff Beck, Bee Gees (duh), Belle & Sebastian, Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Coldplay, Elvis Costello, Electric Light Orchestra, David Essex, Marianne Faithfull, Peter Gabriel, Humble Pie, The Inmates, Tom Jones, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Palmer, Cliff Richard, S Club, Leo Sayer, The Shadows, Status Quo, Sting, Jim Sturgess, Suede, Sweet, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Roger Taylor, Thompson Twins, Peter Tosh, The Tremeloes, U2, Rick Wakeman, Amy Winehouse, Roy Wood, and Bill Wyman.