Ok - so I might have gone a little crazy at the latin supermarket this weekend and bought a huge bunch of hoja santa. Unfortunately I now realize I'm away this weekend coming up, and will only be home Mon-Weds to cook this week. Assume I have a pretty well stocked pantry - what should I do with this stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - so I might have gone a little crazy at the latin supermarket this weekend and bought a huge bunch of hoja santa. Unfortunately I now realize I'm away this weekend coming up, and will only be home Mon-Weds to cook this week. Assume I have a pretty well stocked pantry - what should I do with this stuff?

I love fish wrapped and cooked in hoja santa, as in this filete de pescado en hoja santa, as served at La Embajada Jarocha, in Colonia Roma Norte, México, DF.

IMG_2219.JPG

In Veracruz, apparently, the herb is known as acuyo.

La Embajada Jarocha is a raffish, local joint, with a groovy combo playing upstairs at night.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=Embajada+Jarocha&uname=104875488785418381911&psc=G&filter=1#5572739348531448610

Next week, we;ll be dining with friends at Los Danzantes, Coyoacán, where an alluring entrada is Hoja Santa rellena de queso oaxaca y queso de cabra sobre una salsa de tomate verde y chile meco. It's first among my choices.

Geez, I know I've been way too busy when there has been no time to check in at Mouthfuls. Sheesh!

If you still have hoja santa, here's what I do with it:

Either flatten or cut into milanesa as many chicken breasts as you need. Briefly blanch an equal number of large hoja santa leaves, big enough to cover each very thin breast. Place a leaf on each breast and roll up like a jelly roll. Cut each roll into 2" pieces. Poach in chicken broth until done--it doesn't take very long, since your chicken is very thin and the hoja santa is already blanched. Drain, stand each roll on end on a platter, reserve, and keep warm.

Prepare a mole--we like almendrado or mole negro--using mole paste or powder and the chicken broth you used to poach the rolls. Drizzle mole over the chicken rolls and serve. Put a small pitcher of warm mole on the table, too.