Romera New York

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mouthfuls may be powerful, but I doubt we're driving Google search results.

Mind you, I am sometimes surprised at how well Pink Pig articles do on Google.

Now that Eater is linking to us that might change.

My wife and I had a wonderful experience at Romera on tuesday evening. We enjoyed the food tremendously. Dr Romera's food is clean and and not all aggressive towards the palate (not bland). The food is beautiful on the plate and tastes as good as it looks. The only dish i didn't like was "omnium", "twelve varieties of grains drizzled with olive oil encircling a smooth tandooori sauce with black olive jam and sliced black truffles." I found the dish too spicy ( i have not yet developed a palate for spicy food).

The service was excellent as well, with some minor service flaws not wholly unexpected at a restaurant's third day of service. The servers were engaging and well-informed about the food. The bread and water were refreshed quickly and efficiently.

The wine service was also excellent. The 2 sommeliers are friendly and energetic and very willing to talk about wine, the list (extensive in champagne and white and red burgundy) and how wine pairs with Dr Romera's food. Three different wine pairings are available. We had the least expensive ($80) and sampled wines from France, Italy, Spain, and California as well as a sake. More expensive pairings (160 and 240) are also available

The dining room is beautiful; one of the more beautiful rooms in the city. Tables are spaced wide apart and the chairs are extremely comfortable.

I think that the restaurant compares favorably with the best in the city. I also believe that Dr Romera"s approach to cuisine is different from that of any other chef. I hope he is successful;

Did you have the special water along with the wine?

If not, were you tempted to skip the wine?

I am never tempted to skip wine.

The water accompanies every dish and is presented prior to the dish with the explanation to drink one sip before and one sip after you finish each course. Everyone gets the water. THe waters are fresh and fragrant, cold or warm depending on the dish. The only service mistake was we received the wrong water with the first desert course.

We were very happy with the wine pairings and thought the wines matched the cuisine superbly. The only wine i didn't like was a fruity California Pinot Noir. I told the sommelier i have rarely if ever had a California Pinot Noir (or Chardonnay) that I liked and he said he would put that information on file for me.

Next time i go to romera I would probably order a bottle of Champagne.

I think it's interesting how there was a complete 180 degree turnaround from "I'll never serve alcohol with my food because it would be against my oath as a doctor" to Seth's experience. :rolleyes:

And lest you think I'm making that up, I quote from the good doctor himself:

Sworn to the Hippocratic Oath, Romera considers it anathema to send diners home filled with fat, salt and booze. He uses a minimum of butter and other fats, relying on Cassavia for thickening everything from sauces to gelati. In a statement of restaurant-industry heresy, Romera says that wine pairing is a "complete fraud." The way to ensure wine improves rather than inhibits the taste of food is not to drink too much of it, he says.

I think it's interesting how there was a complete 180 degree turnaround from "I'll never serve alcohol with my food because it would be against my oath as a doctor" to Seth's experience. :rolleyes:

Sworn to the Hippocratic Oath, Romera considers it anathema to send diners home filled with fat, salt and booze. He uses a minimum of butter and other fats, relying on Cassavia for thickening everything from sauces to gelati. In a statement of restaurant-industry heresy, Romera says that wine pairing is a "complete fraud." The way to ensure wine improves rather than inhibits the taste of food is not to drink too much of it, he says.

They are salubrious affects of wine.

They are salubrious affects of wine.

That may be, but his quote reads like he's a stuck-up prig.

My wife and I had a wonderful experience at Romera on tuesday evening. We enjoyed the food tremendously. Dr Romera's food is clean and and not all aggressive towards the palate (not bland). The food is beautiful on the plate and tastes as good as it looks. The only dish i didn't like was "omnium", "twelve varieties of grains drizzled with olive oil encircling a smooth tandooori sauce with black olive jam and sliced black truffles." I found the dish too spicy ( i have not yet developed a palate for spicy food).

The service was excellent as well, with some minor service flaws not wholly unexpected at a restaurant's third day of service. The servers were engaging and well-informed about the food. The bread and water were refreshed quickly and efficiently.

The wine service was also excellent. The 2 sommeliers are friendly and energetic and very willing to talk about wine, the list (extensive in champagne and white and red burgundy) and how wine pairs with Dr Romera's food. Three different wine pairings are available. We had the least expensive ($80) and sampled wines from France, Italy, Spain, and California as well as a sake. More expensive pairings (160 and 240) are also available

The dining room is beautiful; one of the more beautiful rooms in the city. Tables are spaced wide apart and the chairs are extremely comfortable.

I think that the restaurant compares favorably with the best in the city. I also believe that Dr Romera"s approach to cuisine is different from that of any other chef. I hope he is successful;

Curious to know whether the bread is baked in-house and whether butter is served (and, if so, what type).