Hello! Hubs and I are heading to Brugge from London this weekend for our anniversary. We're not planning on doing much but walk around and enjoy the town. I haven't really seen any info on dining except den dyver & 't brugs beertje for pints. If anyone has some recent experiences I love to hear them!

My main memory is a nightime image of the beautiful, romantic facades of all those medieval buildings in the main square. And why not check out Michelangelo's Madonna and Child sculpture if you are passing by it while strolling.

Re Michelin dining, I went to Den Gouden Harynck a number of years ago. That experience would be out-of-date.

Thought I recalled a NY Times article - have you seen it?

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/travel/16beer-journeys.html?pagewanted=1&ref=travel

There was another, older one, but it was where to take the kids? Focused a bit on chocolate, if you are interested.

Happy Anniversary!

yes I had read that one, thanks! it just has the one rec for Brugge. Not interested in the kid stuff ;) but we will probably do the chocolate museum for kicks

Thought I recalled a NY Times article - have you seen it?

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/travel/16beer-journeys.html?pagewanted=1&ref=travel

There was another, older one, but it was where to take the kids? Focused a bit on chocolate, if you are interested.

Happy Anniversary!

yes I had read that one, thanks! it just has the one rec for Brugge. Not interested in the kid stuff ;) but we will probably do the chocolate museum for kicks

The chocolate museum was a lot of fun. The exhibits were interesting, and the demo was quite interesting. Lots of scents, different grades of chocolate passed around (not for eating). I also found the area of the beguinage to be very fascinating. The beguines were noble women, often widows, who ran their own small society in various parts of Europe. The practice started as a place for widows of the Crusaders to assemble, with their own homes and servants, but certain services in common.

Brugge was lovely! The churches, cobblestones, canals and beer were all very very lovely.

We ate at Den Dyver on a friend's rec which honestly was just ok. The beer pairings were excellent but the food was meh

We had a good but expensive meal at Christophe's (because it was the only bistro that served past 10pm) and a great lunch of mussels in a little cafe across from the Halve Maan brewery. Also a very good fish soup at Cambrinus which serves a hell of a lot of beers too!