It's highly suggestive of legal research firms that are desperately afraid of being left behind.

As you know far better than me, legal research eventually results in attorneys writing pages and pages of good old fashioned prose. I suspect that won't be written on mobile devices unless you broaden the definition to count laptops with wifi cards.

Lately Time Warner cable has been running ads touting a new feature that allows people to stream movies to their iPads. My first thought was "At last someone has come up with a way to recreate the experience of watching a movie in Coach."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately Time Warner cable has been running ads touting a new feature that allows people to stream movies to their iPads. My first thought was "At last someone has come up with a way to recreate the experience of watching a movie in Coach."

Oh Mr. Curmudgeon - clearly you don't recognize the value of being able to cede control of the TV because you can just watch the game on your tablet, or that I can watch things on ESPN at work.

Right, Lex. Content production will continue to be done on desktops. Content CONSUMPTION, however, will move to mobiles.

It'll be like the old days, when we didn't have computers, we had word processors.

Most of us are both producers and consumers. We swap hats depending on where we are and what we're doing.

I'd look to businesses to be a truer indicator of technical trends than articles in the computer fanboy trade press. Are some companies moving from desktops to laptops? Some are, some aren't. The decision is based on cost (laptops are pricier and less reliable by a factor of 2 to 1) and the specific jobs of the employees. Attorneys are a natural fit for laptops, not so admin assistants.

Are any companies junking their laptops and moving to tablets? Lets talk about this in a couple of years.

Most of us are both producers and consumers. We swap hats depending on where we are and what we're doing.

That's sort of my point.

And most of us (maybe not logorrheac message board participants like you, me, and everyone else here) consume more than we produce.

Google is committing heavily to local commerce and is also looking forward to the fast approaching day when mobile will be more important than desktop.

You don't really believe that, do you? Have you really crossed over to the other side? Rather than supplanting desktops the mobile devices are filling a previously unexploited void.

You're kidding. Various links.

If by going to the other side, you mean using mobile platforms for my own needs, no. Not much use to writers, really.

Are any companies junking their laptops and moving to tablets? Lets talk about this in a couple of years.

Yes, the rate of uptake is truly startling.

ETA: I shouldn't suggest that PCs are entirely dispensable, but take a look at this. I think this has startled everyone.

Yes, the rate of uptake is truly startling.

I agree with Sneakeater that tablets are primarily consumption devices. With that said, I don't think most companies employ people to consume and not produce. Yes, there are exceptions. Someone standing in a parking lot dispatching and checking in rental cars. Nurses in hospitals. Somebody in a warehouse. I'm sure you can come up with white collar examples but I think they'll be outliers, not mainstream.

I'm not new to technology - I've been at it for more than 30 years, often making purchasing decisions for companies I've worked at. New products often take off like rockets but then a funny thing happens. They level off as the natural population of early adopters gets saturated. Businesses take a hard eyed look at costs vs. benefits.

I'm not disputing the appeal or the utility of tablets but I see them as supplementary devices in most cases.

ETA: I shouldn't suggest that PCs are entirely dispensable, but take a look at this. I think this has startled everyone.

From the article:

The two most popular uses of tablets by workers, said Carton, are accessing the Internet and checking e-mail.

Consumption. Lets talk in a couple of years and see how those projections hold up.

Advantageous for presentations; quick to boot, easily transportable. But I am not taking a view so much as reporting what the tech press is saying. Some of the figures are interesting.

And it's pretty convincing that tablet sales aren't additional to PC sales.

When I asked the person presenting the training program why I'd prefer to do on-the-fly legal research on a tablet rather than on my light, tiny, and extremely expensive laptop, she answered with the boot time.

And you know what? That's a pretty persuasive answer.

Under what circumstances do you find that you need to do on the fly legal research where you're not already within finger's reach of a booted-up desktop or laptop? When you get to the deposition or client meeting, don't you turn on the laptop pretty much immediately? Maybe I need to get into mobile lawyering.

When I'm walking down the street and get an email asking me a question with the expectation of a quick response. (Blackberry was a total gamechanger in the legal world, IMO.)

(The rep who gave the training session used sitting on the commuter train as an example, but of course we're all too cool for that.)