Sign in to follow this  
Nancy S.

Contagion

Quite a cast -- but not very compelling. Day 2, people start getting sick, Day 8 more people get sick, Day 30, even more people get sick, and so on and so on and so on . . . .

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but it's not nearly as good as Traffic. Kate Winslet was very good, but no one else really stood out.

I didn't like the little political gimmick at the end. I'm not sure how I feel about the subtle moral message.

(a) the implication that the virus was caused by corporate deforestation; (b) that Gwenyth was a bit of a tramp and, thus, was the "cause" of spreading the virus. © If I new virus was found, what are the chances that it could be sequenced and a vaccine discovered so quickly? In "Outbreak", it only took a matter of minutes. Here, at least it seemed to take a few days. But it still seemed fast.

Quite a cast -- but not very compelling. Day 2, people start getting sick, Day 8 more people get sick, Day 30, even more people get sick, and so on and so on and so on . . . .

If on day one, 1 person is sick; on day two, 2 people are sick; on day three, 4 people are sick,

and so on, then by about day 33 everybody on earth is sick. This is supposed to impress you.

You can learn the same lesson on exponentiation by watching hand-pulled noodles being

made. It's cheaper than going to the movies.

If you fold a piece of paper in half 15 times it will be taller than the Empire State Building.

I hate to be a notorious stickler, and it depends on the thickness of the paper, but

I think normal paper (0.1 mm) would need 22 folds.

On the same lines, I saw Source Code on Saturday. I found it baffling, but if it were a

simple problem of finding a bomber from among people who are going to die anyway,

then a simple binary shooting search would track down the terrorist efficiently.

If you have 32 people in the car, you shoot half and see if the train bomb is triggered.

If so, you shoot half of the remaining half on your next pass. If not, shoot half of the half

you've already shot. You'll identify the bomber in 5 passes.

Of course, some concerned citizen might think you're a terrorist if you do this sort of thing

and shoot you instead.

I hate to be a notorious stickler, and it depends on the thickness of the paper, but

On the same lines, I saw Source Code on Saturday. I found it baffling, but if it were a

simple problem of finding a bomber from among people who are going to die anyway,

then a simple binary shooting search would track down the terrorist efficiently.

If you have 32 people in the car, you shoot half and see if the train bomb is triggered.

If so, you shoot half of the remaining half on your next pass. If not, shoot half of the half

Of course, some concerned citizen might think you're a terrorist if you do this sort of thing

and shoot you instead.

[Cheney]If you shoot all 32 you'll get the bastard in one pass.[/Cheney]

The point in Source Code* (as I dimly understand it) was to identify the terrorist in one reality

so as to prevent him blowing up Chicago in another. Simply eliminating him without knowing who

he was wouldn't do. An Anish Kapoor installation plays a role in all this, although I'm not sure what.

The people who came up with the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics have much

to answer for, as do those pushing the multiple Universes that are supposed to arise from what's

called Eternal Inflation. They've instigated a whole class of filmmaker to take the idea -- undigested,

unchewed, even -- and cut loose.

* eta: as I'm sure you know.

So, every time they sent Jake in and he failed, they created a new reality in which Chicago was destroyed? Basically, they magnified human suffering about ten times. Nice work.

So, every time they sent Jake in and he failed, they created a new reality in which Chicago was destroyed? Basically, they magnified human suffering about ten times. Nice work.

Have you never heard of the expression "You can't make an omelette

without killing ten chickens"?

Back to "Contagion." I thought it was pretty good, but a friend took me to a SAG screening. If I were paying, I'd be a lot more critical. That being said, I found it plausible, although most of the "scariness" was telegraphed by the obtrusive musical score, always a flaw. For anyone who watches "Nova" or has read about the plague, there's not much new here, except that now, with improved transportation, viruses and bacteria can spread much more quickly than ever before.

Back to "Contagion." I thought it was pretty good, but a friend took me to a SAG screening. If I were paying, I'd be a lot more critical. That being said, I found it plausible, although most of the "scariness" was telegraphed by the obtrusive musical score, always a flaw. For anyone who watches "Nova" or has read about the plague, there's not much new here, except that now, with improved transportation, viruses and bacteria can spread much more quickly than ever before.

See Rise of Planet of the Apes, for another movie where they bleed this point.

and shoot you instead.

[Cheney]If you shoot all 32 you'll get the bastard in one pass.[/Cheney]

don't talk about the dark ops....