Portland Cocktail Week, and a short jaunt in SEA

Anyone going?

I placed my bartending application for VIP access, and, well, amazingly it got chosen.

I'm booked on Alaksa Air. Solid.

I will be in SEA Wednesday, Octoboer 19, 2011. (Yes, I know I will have just missed the Seattle Cocktail Week) and only have plans to check into one of the downtown hotels, visit the Market, shop both Nordies and The Rack and ... maybe meet up with some of my bratty cousins. However the cousin part is sort of unlikely as I'd rather just have fun roaming around one of my fav cities, hit my fav haunts, sit and people watch and eat some good food.

Anyone available? A lunch? A cocktail? Any suggestions that may be newish from when I was there last? (remember I'm staying downtown, on foot or cab)

I'm psyched as this PNW girl has sorely missed seeing ocean and mountains. Let it rain.

Thanks. Cheers!

Hi beans,

The boys from Spur and Tavern Law just opened a new spot - The Coterie Room at 2nd and Blanchard. Used to be Restaurant Zoe. I believe they will be open lunch, dinner, and brunch as of next week. The other big new spot (have not been) is RN74, a Michael Mina big spender spot at 2nd and Pike. Both are walking distance in downtown. A bit further away, but still walkable is Local 360 - in the old Flying Fish space. Again, I haven't been! Not getting downtown much these days.

A bunch of new places in Ballard and Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill, plus the 5 or 6 new Tom Douglas spots, most at South Lake Union, and one at the market.

Looking at the calendar, I'm likely to be under the weather, but don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Hi beans,

The boys from Spur and Tavern Law just opened a new spot - The Coterie Room at 2nd and Blanchard. Used to be Restaurant Zoe. I believe they will be open lunch, dinner, and brunch as of next week. The other big new spot (have not been) is RN74, a Michael Mina big spender spot at 2nd and Pike. Both are walking distance in downtown. A bit further away, but still walkable is Local 360 - in the old Flying Fish space. Again, I haven't been! Not getting downtown much these days.

A bunch of new places in Ballard and Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill, plus the 5 or 6 new Tom Douglas spots, most at South Lake Union, and one at the market.

Looking at the calendar, I'm likely to be under the weather, but don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Hi back sweetie!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful recommendations. I'm happy that I still know the wheres are for those locations!

As for under the weather, I'm crossing my fingers. (My blood disorder can ruin many things....)

Holy Cow. My Nordie balance is at zero. Must. Change. That.

(aside from the fun I *know* I'll be having with others in the biz I can't wait to see again in such a great environment).

Oh!

If anyone has recommendations that are easily accessible via cab from the Jupiter Hotel for a dining suggestion, please suggest away.

Thank you. :cool:

Is that Portland? Don't they still have a separate board? (I guess not - just very quiet.)

Dang, your next door to Le Pigeon.

Oh!

If anyone has recommendations that are easily accessible via cab from the Jupiter Hotel for a dining suggestion, please suggest away.

I'll do you one better: Great eats within walking distance of the Jupiter

-Le Pigeon (upscale, meaty NW)

-Noble Rot (Wine bar, light food, great view)

-Biwa (Fabulous Izakaya)

-Simpatico (I've only been for brunch which is modern classic)

-Bunk Sandwiches

-Nostrana (pizza/pasta)

And somewhere near there (12 and Alder? Morrison? Maybe 10th?) is a pretty decent food cart pod

Additionally, cab worthy brunch and my number 1 must eat in PDX aside from Le Pigeon, is Tasty and Sons.

Oh!

If you like thai food, go to Pok Pok! I'm actually seriously contemplating a day trip to Portland just to eat there again. It's fabulous!

Oh!

Is that Portland? Don't they still have a separate board? (I guess not - just very quiet.)

Dang, your next door to Le Pigeon.

I've thought about Le Pigeon. Thanks.

Oh!

I'll do you one better: Great eats within walking distance of the Jupiter

-Le Pigeon (upscale, meaty NW)

-Noble Rot (Wine bar, light food, great view)

-Biwa (Fabulous Izakaya)

-Simpatico (I've only been for brunch which is modern classic)

-Bunk Sandwiches

-Nostrana (pizza/pasta)

And somewhere near there (12 and Alder? Morrison? Maybe 10th?) is a pretty decent food cart pod

Additionally, cab worthy brunch and my number 1 must eat in PDX aside from Le Pigeon, is Tasty and Sons.

Thank you for your suggestions. They have been duly noted as I have no idea where this conference or my friends at the conference will be going... dinners seem to be on an on your own sort with happy hours and some later in the evening stuff.

Personally, I'll be happy if I find somewhere that I can just grab some good PNW food like a dungie and some Willamette wine(s). Does Portland grocery stores sell Sailor Boy pilot bread crackers??? lol I sure miss those.

I'd love to meet you for a cocktail. Canon, perhaps?

Where are you staying?

I'm unsure of accommodations, for a first time. I've stayed all over downtown in years past from flea bag to high end corporate chains. I've even lived on First Hill ("Pill Hill") for weeks at a time... but that was almost a life time ago.

I'm actually considering the Sorrento. I'm finding that most of the downtown corporate chains are charging for WiFi. :ph43r: I'm not pleased with that development....

Cocktails would be lovely. The more the merrier. Thank you!

p.s. Up thread I noted the Sailor Boy pilot bread that can be found at local grocery stores, so First Hill may be that golden nugget for scoring same. :P (I remember some of the small stores and Chinese take outs I ate at often and wonder if much has changed).

Oh!

If you like thai food, go to Pok Pok! I'm actually seriously contemplating a day trip to Portland just to eat there again. It's fabulous!

Wow, that is a recommendation if it requires a day trip! Thank you!

I had people in town in mid August and last week that have found occupancy rates hovering near 100% (you can still rent the $3,000 penthouse thank you very much!) Don't get stuck out at the airport! The Sorrento tends to have slightly lighter occupancy, so that may work out well. Not sure when you were living up on First Hill, but Swedish and Virginia Mason have grown into very large campuses - many small places are gone. Still some good stuff tucked away though. Not much in the way of grocery stores. Hiking distance to Melrose Market and Taylor Shellfish's new store. I'm not sure if they carry crabs there or not.

I had people in town in mid August and last week that have found occupancy rates hovering near 100% (you can still rent the $3,000 penthouse thank you very much!) Don't get stuck out at the airport! The Sorrento tends to have slightly lighter occupancy, so that may work out well. Not sure when you were living up on First Hill, but Swedish and Virginia Mason have grown into very large campuses - many small places are gone. Still some good stuff tucked away though. Not much in the way of grocery stores. Hiking distance to Melrose Market and Taylor Shellfish's new store. I'm not sure if they carry crabs there or not.

With that advice, I'm booked. I hope they will be gracious enough to allow an early check in since I will be departing at 6:00 a.m. and arriving SEA sometime around 10:00 a.m. PST. Grocery-ish store hunting will only involve finding some Sailor Boy pilot bread crackers. I'm looking to dine on local, PNW foods since I can find some decent Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese and Chinese here in Cleveburg. :P

In PDX, I'm hoping to seek out at least one meal at Urban Farmer. I'd love to see Lucy Brennan at Mint/820, know an event is going to be at The Teardrop and would like to visit The Heathman -- for a start. I'm sure Le Pigeon will be investigated, especially due to the proximity to The Jupiter.

I'm excited. Some brand ambassadors I enjoy spending time with will be presenting and I got my confirmation for my Jupiter room booked through Monday and I've got a guaranteed seat on the Pernod Ricard sponsored Amtrak trip from SEA to PDX.

Cheers to seeing some mountains and a wee bit of Puget Sound!

I'm in charge of that very train trip. So glad you'll be coming! I'm probably going to run a crawl for all of the people coming to Seattle first on the 19th. Hit me up!

Oh, and you should add Wafu, Pine St Biscuits, Beaker and Flask, Laurelhurst Market, Pambiche, and Nicholas to your list.

Rocky