Frito Chili Pie with pictures

The Pioneer Woman makes Frito Chili Pie (with pictures). This is right, isn't it Jaymes?

An Okie makes Frito chili pie

Well, it might be a 'new trend' to some. But it was standard lunchtime fare at the drive-in across from my grade school in San Angelo, Texas, in 1952.

Fritos were invented by Elmer Doolin in his mama's San Antonio kitchen in 1932. And, according to legend, almost immediately, his mama, Daisy Dean Doolin, added some to a bowl of famous San Antonio chili, thereby inventing chili pie before the year was out. You can use whatever chili you prefer, so if the Pioneer Woman's version suits her, that seems fine.

It obviously didn't take a lot of imagination to split that small individual Frito bag down the middle and put the chili in it, and then top with chopped onions and/or cheese. It was ubiquitous at picnics, church suppers, backyard barbecues, as far back as I can recall.

And, like I said, I remember doing just that as a school girl in Texas in the early 1950's.

So the claim that it was invented at a lunch counter in Santa Fe in the 1960's doesn't impress me at all.

We used to dip Doritos into cream cheese. Temptee was good for that. I bet the chili would be great with it. But what do I know? I grew up with cream cheese in warm pasta and in tuna salad.

Must feel nice to have that hot mess in your hands separated only by a thin plastic bag. Reminds me of having a dog in the city.

We used to dip Doritos into cream cheese. Temptee was good for that. I bet the chili would be great with it. But what do I know? I grew up with cream cheese in warm pasta and in tuna salad.

Must feel nice to have that hot mess in your hands separated only by a thin plastic bag. Reminds me of having a dog in the city.

It does feel nice. Not only the warmth of it, but also that aroma drifting toward your nose. And it's so handy to take on picnics, especially on cool autumn football afternoons. You take some bags of Fritos and a pot of chili and you're all set. Add some plastic spoons and cleanup is also a breeze.

You know, as an aside, every time I hear/read about that "invented in Santa Fe in the 1960's" thing, I am gob-smacked that it continues to be given any credibility whatsoever.

There are a few things we know for certain.

We know that by 1880-90, chili was so popular in San Antonio that the Chili Queens were even a nationally-known tourist attraction.

And we know that Elmer Doolin invented Fritos in his mama's kitchen in that same San Antonio in 1932.

For anyone to think for even so much as 60 seconds that it's possible that the Doolin family, let alone the rest of San Antonio, and Texas, didn't think to try combining the two for THIRTY YEARS until a waitress in Santa Fe did it in 1962 is, to me anyway, literally unbelievable.

You make a persuasive case there, Jaymes, but I am skeptical only because you Texans have this habit of claiming you invented everything. If we believe you about this Fritos/chili combo you'll be arguing next that you were the first folks to combine chocolate and peanut butter.