you know you're old when...

...you wonder what ever happened to the knowledgeable, helpful and friendly librarians of my youth.

i went to my local branch of the public library to get a pin code in order to borrow ebooks and use the online services.

even though i already have a library card, i was told that i'd need to pay a small fee to have a new one issued. okay. i was told i'd have to fill out an application even though my records were still in the online system. okay. i then had to wait about 15 minutes for the librarian to find a copy of the application for me to fill out. then she had to hunt and pick at her keyboard to re-enter the information and issue my new card.

then she walked me through their space-aged electronic payment system. i asked if the pin number that i was asked to choose on the application was the same pin that i'd use online to download ebooks. she said she had "...no idea how all that works" and that i should just try it when i got home, but if it didn't work i could back and get the right kind of pin number.

it made me desperately sad and nostalgic for miss marcione who gave me free run of the arverne branch of the queens library when i was 7 years old. she had a masters degree in library science and was a career librarian. she kept track of what was reading, suggested books that i might like, held new books for me and let me take out any adult books i wanted. i lived in that library. i doubt these librarian know their own names, let alone the names of anyone who uses the library.

i sure hope my new pin number works

sigh

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...you wonder what ever happened to the knowledgeable, helpful and friendly librarians of my youth.   i went to my local branch of the public library to get a pin code in order to borrow ebooks and

Jane, I'm so glad for you that it hurts.

Watch out that no one steals that tweet.

Paul and I had a conversation this morning about the location of an appointment he has this afternoon.

Paul: It's in the new medical building on the corner.

Me: New?

Paul: Well, five years old.

Me: Okay, grandpa. (he's not but it's funny to tease)

On my way back from vacation, I was sat in one of the two middle seats in the middle section of a wide-body jet.

At one point, I needed to get to the bathroom. I asked the young man sitting next to me, on the aisle, if he would let me out.

"Sure," he said. "It's very important to get up and move around on long flights. Otherwise you can get blood clots."

"Especially," he added, "at your age."

My wife and I were back home in Chicago last weekend and we had lunch in the Walnut Room at Marshall Fields* on State Street. I had Mrs. Hering's Chicken Pot Pie. As I was eating it I reflected back on when I was a kid and mom used to give me a quarter for a Swanson Pot Pie and a Coke. The pie was 17¢ and the Coke was 7¢. One cent was left over for tax, which was around 3.5 percent back then. I think if I were to buy both today the tax itself would be around 25¢.

*Note: I know it's owned by Macy's, but it'll always be Marshall Fields to me just like it'll always be the Sears Tower.

• 10 months later...

Last night's TEED show at LPR.

RANDOM GIRL I'M DANCING WITH: Can I ask you how old you are?

ME: Sure.

RGIDW: How old are you?

ME: 55.

RGIDW: Awesome.

After the show, this extremely tall Dutch guy grabs me as I'm on my way out.

EXTREMELY TALL DUTCH GUY: I just want to tell you how courageous you are.

Yes, it's come to this.

Meanwhile, at the dB's show at LPR at the beginning of the summer.

This show has tables. At my table are a couple, a little younger than me, and their daughter, who looks to be about 18.

I'm sitting at the table bopping around heavily (this was my Favorite White Rock Band at the turn of the 70s/80s, after all).

The woman taps me on the shoulder and leans toward me.

"My daughter wanted me to tell you that she thinks you're adorable."

Adorable.

Last night's TEED show at LPR.

RANDOM GIRL I'M DANCING WITH: Can I ask you how old you are?

ME: Sure.

RGIDW: How old are you?

ME: 55.

RGIDW: Awesome.

After the show, this extremely tall Dutch guy grabs me as I'm on my way out.

EXTREMELY TALL DUTCH GUY: I just want to tell you how courageous you are.

Yes, it's come to this.

the Dutch are a very honest people...

Meanwhile, at the dB's show at LPR at the beginning of the summer.

This show has tables. At my table are a couple, a little younger than me, and their daughter, who looks to be about 18.

I'm sitting at the table bopping around heavily (this was my Favorite White Rock Band at the turn of the 70s/80s, after all).

The woman taps me on the shoulder and leans toward me.

"My daughter wanted me to tell you that she thinks you're adorable."

Adorable.

"A" you're adorable, "D" you're delectable....no, even I can't go on :ph43r: