Place we're curious about ... Paris

I promise it won't happen again. By the way, where you going to dinner tonight ? unsure.gif

Le Duc. Belons 000. Bar en Vessie. Fuck 34 Euro menus.

Who stole access to Orik's account? Orik hates this stuffy classic stuff from 1899.

Young man, show some respect. This restaurant is younger that the MF median. It "invented" scallop tartare while your family was microwaving fish fingers, it was the first to cook fish to less than well done, and is even behind some dishes we know and love, like a huge plate of pasta in creamy sauce topped with some gigantic langoustines (no foie, though)

So there.

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like to eat (and drink).   But I don't like to figure out where to eat (and drink).   Actually, it's not that I don't like to figure out where to eat (and drink) ... it's really that I'm just

Okay, just finished lunch.   Neva, check. L'Auberge du 15, check. Verjus, not open yet.   Hey guys ! My NetFood queue is quenched but my appetite isn't.   What gives ? What am I going to do for

Anyone been to or heard reports about l'arroceria FOGON?   C'est une histoire de l'Espagne, du riz Bomba et des jambes. (de cochon)   I was told to do le menu, mais demander le riz aux langoustine

I'm sure Garance is nice, but most of the photos look like dishes which it would be easy to make at home. Especially the meat and potatoes one. (Not that I mind plain-looking food; that's just my reaction.)

ETA: And if I read the thread correctly, those are the fancy versions, with gravy.

I don't want to sell Garanace short. It was just a quick lunch, and they're new (and frankly, beef+foie tartare, whole squid, duck, five fresh scallops, three glasses of drinkable white, coffee, tea*, $120 for two, all in. You know what you get in nyc for that), but the genre, which I'm sure Chambo will object terribly to me describing as post-bistronomique again, maybe post-Racines... anyway, these places operate in the equivalent of $40 to $60 for a full six or seven course dinner (or a little bit more $$$s at Spring), with varying levels of complexity (the better ones would be very hard to make at home), good ingredients, although often not very expensive ones because of the price constraints, no stews, terrines, long cooking (or the perception thereof, lots of sous-vide of course). Once the food fashion crowd moves on it'll be a pretty good set of places to have around if you don't feel like whole palombe or $150 entrees every day of the week.

* the upstairs team is, and I say this with all respect to them, very inexperienced, and because it's not a hipster place (which is why the wine isn't weird), they're inexperienced in this way you find often in nyc - they have never eaten at a restaurant. Also, they've never made chamomile tea, the consumption of which is an affliction of Sivan's**. After tasting it and almost gagging, she opens the pot and finds thirty or so whole dried chamomile flowers laugh.gif

** another affliction is that of all things, she is allergic to Belons, which made it necessary to also order marinated salmon, crab salad, a dozen No.3s, a couple of sea urchins, and a completely comical dessert from the hilarious dessert trolley at Le Duc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Visited Daniel Rose's newish La Bourse et La Vie last night. Nicely rennovated yet preserved space, warm smiling welome. Short, straigjt forward bistro-representatie menu. Moderate prices, Rose's signature enormous portions.

Service was cordial and well timed. FOH staff effusive by French standards. We were surrounded by Americans, some of whom understood what they were eating, others not so much. We found seasoning lacking in some instances and saucing abrasive in others.

This place looks to be a gold mine for Rose but cooking has veered far from the whimsical and delightful plates on Tour d'Auvergne to someone's vision of an American-friendly classic bistro. Obviously works for many.

Visited Daniel Rose's newish La Bourse et La Vie last night. Nicely rennovated yet preserved space, warm smiling welome. Short, straigjt forward bistro-representatie menu. Moderate prices, Rose's signature enormous portions.

Service was cordial and well timed. FOH staff effusive by French standards. We were surrounded by Americans, some of whom understood what they were eating, others not so much. We found seasoning lacking in some instances and saucing abrasive in others.

This place looks to be a gold mine for Rose but cooking has veered far from the whimsical and delightful plates on Tour d'Auvergne to someone's vision of an American-friendly classic bistro. Obviously works for many.

Thanks for this report. Maybe the La Bourse La Vie is a Trojan horse. Designed to draw the Americans away from Tour d'Auvergne so the French may continue to enjoy it.

Absolutely! Daniel isn't successfully building an empire by selling snake oil. Rather like Danny

Meyer, he understands and caters to a well understood diner. As I preach, you have to vet your guru and still read between the lines of reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Fulgurances, which I gather is an umbrella movement which has supported a magazine, guide and pop-up restaurants featuring young chefs, finally has an bricks and mortor location, 10 rue Alexandre Dumas in the 12th. Chloe Charles (L'Astrance, Septime) is the debut chef and will be in house until spring. She is turning out lovely stuff, like artichoke with marrow and shower of shaved roquefort, seiche with sweetbreads, crab and steamed potato "chips" with corale jus... Every part of of every product is put to use, peel, root, stem, leaf, shells, corail, which will appear in one form or another during the meal, sometimes a broth with falvorful bits or part of the stuffing under the skin of the pintade. Knowledgeable, professional young cadre, kitchen purrs like a well oiled machine and FOH is on point.

So, the gist is that there will be roughtly 3 chefs a year, probably #2s at hot restaurants who are looking to break out onto their own. Perhaps special events in between. This is an informal and joyous place. Will be fun to watch its development as well as that of the visiting chefs. Serviceable wine list with more than the usual suspects.

SNIP

So, the gist is that there will be roughtly 3 chefs a year, probably #2s at hot restaurants who are looking to break out onto their own. Perhaps special events in between. This is an informal and joyous place. Will be fun to watch its development as well as that of the visiting chefs. Serviceable wine list with more than the usual suspects.

That's a really interesting business proposition. I wish them luck

Au Passage: we were very late to this party which started a handful of years ago with James Henry as opening chef, now on at least its third chef, Edward Delling Williams. A dive, dump, joint...name your prejorative, with no decor but definite style. The menu is written on the ardoise wall, small plates, a couple of dinner-size plates and several table plates, such as the whole shoulder of lamb for 4 people at 45€. We ordered 3 small plates, two main course plates and shared a dessert. We recognized the som as one who had been at Bones when it closed; the entire staff is pro and congenial. But the plates were stars, with structure and theme but zinging accents with every bite. I love it whan I come to the end of a plate and want MORE rather than those which make me want a gold star for finishing. Anyway, this is definitely our kind of food. Considerable wine list at decent prices. Easy res except for weekends.

http://gastronomist.it/en/the-french-revolution-paris-gastro-scene-interview-with-chef-edward-delling-williams-4/

• 2 months later...