Hey everyone. I'm new to this entire Forum thing, especially on this website. Hopefully I've posted this in the correct thread. If not, please let me know.

I've recently started an instructional video food blog. I'd like to get your honest opinions on some of the videos I've edited together.

The basic idea behind the site is that I'll be taking recipes from around the internet and give them a video treatment to their instructions and will of course be credited.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Here is the website: Viral Menu (www.viralmenu.com)

The voiceover at the top needs to be tightened up.

I'd suggest you do some quick dissolves in between your jump cuts, to smooth the transition.

And be careful of your shadows when you're shooting!

But I like the concept and the voiceover delivery (though too slow at the top) is soothing. You may want to add a little pep to it but it's nice.

I agree with both Stone and Liza (and she is a production pro, so listen to her!) Uhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . groovy, man . . . ;) The one I watched looked nice, but almost put me in a trance. :lol:

From my perspective (I edit cookbooks for a living): MOST IMPORTANT: if you are lifting other people's recipes from the web, you'd damn well better give credit. In fact, you should be asking their permission. Remember, then you can link to their site and they'll link to yours -- you need that to drive traffic to your site. See Leite's Culinaria for how to use others' recipes really well.

The recipes, both written and oral, have too many needless words. You don't need to say, "I'm going to tell you how to make whatever in this recipe" when you could use the time showing us what to do, and all those okays and filler words are really distracting. But what you don't have and should is an oral "ingredients list" -- that is, before you start the cooking, you should tell and show what will be needed, the mise en place.

You don't seem to be aware that there are conventions in recipe writing, such as listing ingredients in the same order in which they are used. And how (and where) to list the prep work. Get yourself a copy of Recipes Into Type and/or The Recipe Writer's Handbook and learn the important stuff. You don't have to make it sound like anybody else, but you do have to make it easy for people to follow without jumping back and forth. Recipe writing is not really all that hard, but not everyone who does it knows how and you need to learn so you can fix their recipes when you use them.

Have you thoroughly tested the recipes? Not just cooked them once, then filmed, but really tested. Think about all the things people could screw up and make sure you head that off.

If someone wants to cook one of the recipes, how can they have something more than the onscreen description and listing? Can they print it off? The oral part is encouraging, but not enough to be able to make the dish. And do you expect people to have the device they're watching it on with them in the kitchen (the way they'd have a cookbook)? They might not want to get it messed up, so how do they then follow along?

I do wish you luck with it. Who's your intended audience?

I agree with the comments and suggestions made above. For me, the title is off-putting. I like style and the concept, but would prefer a faster pace with no extra dialogue or pauses.

I only watched the first video. That recipe is simple enough that I would have been more inclined to just read the recipe, rather than take the time to watch it demonstrated. I tend to watch videos in order to learn techniques that I have never used. A series of cooking videos I've enjoyed is, 'Cooking With Dog' (not dog as an ingredient, but the woman's dog is the 'narrator'). It has the appeal of the personality of the woman demonstrating, it's campy because of the dog and the voice he's given, but it's fast-paced and the demos are excellent.