Amici [Bergenfield]

Elisa Ung wrote a positive, but very tough review on Amici today, citing the excellent food but uneven service:

http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/Restaurant_review_Amici_Family_Restaurant_in_Bergenfield.html

I've only experienced really good service at the place, but then again, the owners know me very well. A few commenters on my blog have cited occasional service issues but the response to the place has been overwhelmingly positive.

5843558401_c5df84c22a.jpg

NJ Dining: Amici Family Restaurant (Off The Broiler)

I've spoken to Ray Novini about the service issues and he's assuring me he's going to handle his staff today. :) By all means, still go.

It sounds like Elisa Ung's party encountered a tough waitress. Not an extinct species in much of NJ.

Bringing what's supposed to be a gluten free pizza which isn't gluten free, and not alerting the customer is a problem, in my book. Telling the customer to go ahead and eat it anyway bespeaks a fundamental ignorance of the health issue, or a contempt of the customer. Neither reflects well on the server, or on the restaurant.

I'm sure the owners understand this is an issue to be resolved, and they will fix it.

Meanwhile, I'd like to get over there soon. Amici has been on my list for a while, and OTB's pictures are mouth watering...

It sounds like Elisa Ung's party encountered a tough waitress. Not an extinct species in much of NJ.

Bringing what's supposed to be a gluten free pizza which isn't gluten free, and not alerting the customer is a problem, in my book. Telling the customer to go ahead and eat it anyway bespeaks a fundamental ignorance of the health issue, or a contempt of the customer. Neither reflects well on the server, or on the restaurant.

I'm sure the owners understand this is an issue to be resolved, and they will fix it.

Meanwhile, I'd like to get over there soon. Amici has been on my list for a while, and OTB's pictures are mouth watering...

Believe me, the owner is already correcting the issues. Go anyway :)

Serving pizza with gluten to a celiac patient is quite an egregious error, especially with the publicity this disease has received and the general awareness of restaurants to foods with allergens...Some can be life-threatening to the allergic.

For a better experience anyway, as far as food, service and ambiance, travel 10 minutes down the road to this highly rated place in Teaneck, BV Tuscany. Some of the best food of the Ital-American ilk in this area.

http://www.bvtuscany.com/

Serving pizza with gluten to a celiac patient is quite an egregious error, especially with the publicity this disease has received and the general awareness of restaurants to foods with allergens...Some can be life-threatening to the allergic.

For a better experience anyway, as far as food, service and ambiance, travel 10 minutes down the road to this highly rated place in Teaneck, BV Tuscany. Some of the best food of the Ital-American ilk in this area.

http://www.bvtuscany.com/

I'm not going to make any excuses for such a serious service gaffe like that. And I havent eaten at Tuscany. However, have you even -tried- the food at Amici? Despite her issues with the service, which I'm going to have to toss up as purely incidental given the significant positive feedback about the place I've seen on my blog, she enjoyed the food a great deal and made it quite clear it was an excellent value.

So unless you've actually eaten there you're not even speaking from a position to be able to say definitively the experience is "better" as far as food, or service. Ambiance, I'll give you. But everything else you've said is simply your usual contention on anything I have given positive words towards.

• Like 1

I'm not going to make any excuses for such a serious service gaffe like that. And I havent eaten at Tuscany. However, have you even -tried- the food at Amici? Despite her issues with the service, which I'm going to have to toss up as purely incidental given the significant positive feedback about the place I've seen on my blog, she enjoyed the food a great deal and made it quite clear it was an excellent value.

So unless you've actually eaten there you're not even speaking from a position to be able to say definitively the experience is "better" as far as food, or service. Ambiance, I'll give you. But everything else you've said is simply your usual contention on anything I have given positive words towards.

You've really got some issues with a persecution complex--- Oh, and BTW, you haven't eaten at BV Tuscany, as you've said. So your argument is moot.

You've really got some issues with a persecution complex--- Oh, and BTW, you haven't eaten at BV Tuscany, as you've said. So your argument is moot.

Perhaps I should rephrase this as a question. Have you eaten at Amici or not? Because if you haven't, you are simply projecting pre-concieved notions about it without having any authority to opine on it.

As to Tuscany, I'll try it. I won't hold it against the place you've eaten there.

• Like 1

I love the ability to opine and diss and proffer without specific knowledge or experience.

It's a very Post-Modernist take on food criticism.

:) :)

Refreshing, isn't it. The whole real knowledge or experience thing is so overrated.

• Like 1

I have eaten there and truly believe that their pizza is the best pie in Bergen County, hands down. Also, their Sunday Ragu could make your ItalianAmerican grandma jealous; it's freaking phenomenal. Other things from the menu, I give a "meh" to (camponada was too sweet for my taste & salad was lackluster) I'm glad this place exists and even gladder it's within walking distance to my house.

• Like 1

my dude and i went back on Monday for the pie & sunday ragu and I gotta say, the service critics are right: our waitress was really bad. I'm assuming she's never waited tables before this job and it shows. No refills on water, entrees served at different times, strange clearing procedures, broken glasses, etc. Granted, she was the only waitron on duty, but there was only 2 other tables. Hopefully she'll get a grip/clue in the months to come, otherwise it'll be a rough row for the new place.

my dude and i went back on Monday for the pie & sunday ragu and I gotta say, the service critics are right: our waitress was really bad. I'm assuming she's never waited tables before this job and it shows. No refills on water, entrees served at different times, strange clearing procedures, broken glasses, etc. Granted, she was the only waitron on duty, but there was only 2 other tables. Hopefully she'll get a grip/clue in the months to come, otherwise it'll be a rough row for the new place.

http://www.northjersey.com/Restaurant_review_BV_Tuscany_in_Teaneck.html

I love the ability to opine and diss and proffer without specific knowledge or experience.

Refreshing, isn't it. The whole real knowledge or experience thing is so overrated.

The only think I wanna know is if it is Northern or Southern Italian?

• Like 1

And do the bastards use cream in their carbonara.

• Like 1

And do the bastards use cream in their carbonara.

Pancetta or guanciale? ;)