Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Autumn 2011

"Verizon will round tomorrow". Yeah, right.

They pulled that one on us and we waited 16 days. Then we changed provider.

you must have waited at the wrong address

Ha. Too near the knuckle. They said I wasn't in when I was, and then they said oh, you don't need to be in and that's why we didn't ring your bell. Right.

The problem of zero connection went from Broadway to 6th Avenue on 11th. And I think everyone was in.

Half our town is without power, luckily the other half. :P

We have tons of downed trees and a lot of our fence was smashed by massive tree limbs falling all over it. I was the only person outside last night, beating the snow off the trees so we actually lost a lot less than others.

Friends in NW Connecticut live in a town where all the power went off, and was still off this afternoon when they left to return to the city, and they lost several very large trees. Luckily none hit the house.

Ha. Too near the knuckle. They said I wasn't in when I was, and then they said oh, you don't need to be in and that's why we didn't ring your bell. Right.

The problem of zero connection went from Broadway to 6th Avenue on 11th. And I think everyone was in.

I already told them that no one will be home, so they better not pull that one.

This storm was a disaster out here, as y'all probably know from the news. We lost power, & therefore our furnace, for 40 hours, including Saturday night & most of Sunday night. Not fun. Our gas stove & hot water heater were functional so we could eat hot food. We had a battery-operated radio & candles & flashlights from Irene. We were lucky to get power back that quickly. You couldn't contact anyone PSE&G, only leave a msg that your power was out, so no one knew when they might get round.

I knew early on it was going to be bad because most trees still have their leaves, meaning a much greater weight of snow on the branches. Little did I know how bad. It was eerie; gigantic branches were snapping off & crashing to earth with no warning for hours. Our town had 600 wires broken, presumably like much of Jersey & the wider area. Much worse than Irene here.

Hope everyone else got through it OK. A lot of folks still don't have power. We're lucky it warmed up a bit again.

This storm was a disaster out here, as y'all probably know from the news. We lost power, & therefore our furnace, for 40 hours, including Saturday night & most of Sunday night. Not fun. Our gas stove & hot water heater were functional so we could eat hot food. We had a battery-operated radio & candles & flashlights from Irene. We were lucky to get power back that quickly. You couldn't contact anyone PSE&G, only leave a msg that your power was out, so no one knew when they might get round.

I knew early on it was going to be bad because most trees still have their leaves, meaning a much greater weight of snow on the branches. Little did I know how bad. It was eerie; gigantic branches were snapping off & crashing to earth with no warning for hours. Our town had 600 wires broken, presumably like much of Jersey & the wider area. Much worse than Irene here.

Hope everyone else got through it OK. A lot of folks still don't have power. We're lucky it warmed up a bit again.

That sounds like our experience, too. I'm happy you're OK.

We received about 8 inches of wet, heavy snow, which coated and brought down a lot of trees and branches. More than 300 trees in the road in North Caldwell, West Caldwell, and Caldwell borough. No electric service (for us) from midnight Saturday/Sunday until Tuesday morning. We did have hot water, a gas grill and a charcoal grill, and a good indoor fireplace. Unpleasant, but not dire.

The scale of destruction was amazing. One of our neighbors lost a pair of 80 foot oaks, both of which missed their home. Another neighbor lost a maple which blocked their driveway and took down a telephone pole, electric, and media wires. The neighbor to my north lost a number of 6 inch diameter branches, none of which damaged anything. The fact that nobody's house was hit, and only one garage and one car were damaged was amazing.

My neighbor to the south is a contractor, and by midday Sunday, he had a generator on a truck in his driveway. He offered me access to a 220V line if I had a plug in 220 connection and an "inlet box" for a generator. Neither of which I do. Right now I'm looking to see whether a battery backup or UPS will let me activate the electronic thermostat to my gas furnace for a day or two.

It was a good learning experience, and I have a few things to do.

Ghostie and Rail Paul - Phew! Glad to hear from both of you and not too much worse for the the storm.

We've got a rainstorm coming down with wind attached. I assume some in the area will lose power tonight - hoping not us.

Ghostie and Rail Paul - Phew! Glad to hear from both of you and not too much worse for the the storm.

We've got a rainstorm coming down with wind attached. I assume some in the area will lose power tonight - hoping not us.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

One of the problems in older (pre-1980s) suburbs is the prevalence of pole mounted electric service in areas with lush tree canopies. In my neighborhood of 1920s colonial-style homes, we have a lot of 80-90 year old trees. Although their ample branches frame the area very nicely, they are magnets for ice buildup, high wind damage, etc. The combination of leaves still on the trees, heavy wet snow, and soil that was still unstable following heavy rains and Irene made for a dangerous combination.

Budget cuts have reduced regular town maintenance of street trees, and many residents are unwilling or unable to pay for occasional pruning of the trees in front of their houses and in their power lines. The power company comes through every few years and trims a few trees, but they'd prefer to respond when the lines come down, etc.

The same problem happens in multiples in places like upstate NY and VT where long stretches of pole lines can come down in an ice storm, hurricane, etc.

I had to scrape the car windshield this morning. That milestone seems to have come late this year.

Hard frosts over the last week or so means that I can do my planned a heavy pruning on the red oak in the font yard.

If my co-workers are a good sample size I'm guessing people who install generators in the Fancy NYC suburbs are having a good year.

I would agree with this. Bergen, Rockland, Westchester, and much of CT have lost power for days at a clip in recent years. Morris, Essex, Union, Monmouth, less so until now.

Installing a basic service generator will cost about $3,500. That will give you basic electric, and power for running thermostats, etc. FIOS and cable were both out in our area, but cell phone modems worked if they could get space on bandwidth.

If you want a full deal backup with automatic on / divert, inlet box, 5 day fuel supply, and 18,000 power, that will cost somewhere around $9,000 - $12,000. With that you can run an electric stove, electric heat, and a dryer, simultaneously.

prices will be a lot lower in May or June, higher after the power goes out...

Probably our last lunch outside on the deck today. Warm, sunny, probably close to 70 degrees, with bright sun. Lovely day to be outside.

I've just about finished cutting the smaller storm tossed branches and dragging them out to the street. Then, I'll start on the larger limbs, some of which are ten feet long, perhaps six inches in diameter. Cut 'em up and stack them for curing until 2012-2013.

i cannot exist in this darkness. gotta get one of them SAD lights. how do the swedes survive decembers w/o sunlight?