I haven't the patience to read all the way down to here, but I can't help but wonder:

Why does anyone here (other than nux, whose business it is) give a flying fuck about how the media treat any restaurant or restaurateur? What does it matter to people who have such superior taste :ph43r: and can make their own decisions without reading the hype?

• Like 1
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I came across a blurb about PDX's Pok Pok opening of two restaurants in NYC in 2012.           I hope some NYers give it a try and report back once it opens. Pok Pok has a very good reputati

I haven't the patience to read all the way down to here, but I can't help but wonder:   Why does anyone here (other than nux, whose business it is) give a flying fuck about how the media treat any r

I haven't the patience to read all the way down to here, but I can't help but wonder:

Why does anyone here (other than nux, whose business it is) give a flying fuck about how the media treat any restaurant or restaurateur? What does it matter to people who have such superior taste :ph43r: and can make their own decisions without reading the hype?

We're a food board. We do stuff like that.

We don't worry about OUR decisions.

We worry about OTHER PEOPLE'S decisions.

You know, the way you and I used to worry, before its happy resurgence, that classical music was going to disappear because the media started to ignore it and audiences started migrating away.

Are you the same person who complains incessantly that there's a market under the bridge instead of nothing? laugh.gif

Are you the same person who complains incessantly that there's a market under the bridge instead of nothing? laugh.gif

And who gave us blow by blow accounts of the construction of the Gehry tower and how loud and disruptive it was. I couldn't get enough of that.

No, I'm the one who complains (not incessantly because I find that too boring) about a market that is run by a holier-than-thou BS artist who refuses to work with the owners of the site and its environs because his vision is too pure to use what's already there. He spoke to a Syracuse University architecture class last week (I was also there as a speaker) and I will tell you that the instructor (who is the urban designer for another nearby city) spent much of the time rolling his eyes at the guy's pompous naiveté (yes, it is possible to be both simultaneously, as you well know). And you are lying when you accuse me of saying I want nothing in that space. I want a market for people who feed families, not just for hipsters and tourists. Families cannot live on artisanal ketchup and ice lollies alone.

• 2 months later...

Compared to the ocean of virtual ink that Mission Chinese is receiving Pok Pok has disappeared from the radar screen. I thought that perhaps the crowds had moved on to the Next Big Thing so we drove over last night at 7:00PM and were quoted an hour and a half wait.

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emo

We found another place to eat.

• 2 months later...

I finally made it to Pok Pok on Tuesday night. Let me first say that it was pretty easy to get in. We were a party of three, we got there at 6:45 and were seated in about 5 minutes. If you aren't as lucky, I think it's been well documented that they'll take your cell number and call you when your seat is ready - plus there are plenty of bars close by that you can wait in.

Now on to the food. .

We got:

-- the chicken wings - I SO do not understand why people love these. We got them spicy, which I guess they were. But kind of gloppy and uninteresting to me. I just had one.

-- pork laarb - very heavy and lacked the balance of Sri's. Reminded me of a deconstructed thai meatloaf.

--smoky grilled eggplant - the best dish of the meal. very smoky eggplant garnished with chopped up hardbboiled eggs and the typical fish sauce/lime, etc sauce that makes Thai food so good

--pork belly and pork shoulder curry - this was good but also very rich and heavy. I guess my main takeaway from this vs Sri (which is perhaps unfair) is that I can eat boatloads of every Sri dish because they aren't overwhelmingly heavy and they have a good balance of flavors. I had a small piece of the pork and couldn't really eat more.

--stewed mustard greens with pork ribs - my second favorite dish of the night. This was surprisingly soupy with a nice spicy broth with heat that hits you in the back of the throat.

Is it worth all the hype? Based on my one visit, I didn't see what all the hubbub was about. The food was good but not great. With all the other restaurants on my list, I'm not sure if I'll be back but I'd certainly be happy if it was in my neighborhood.

• 3 months later...

a recent visit was much better than the one before it. I think I like this place more than other posters do.

I had the pork larb and curry that nux did, I think I just liked them more than she did. the kai yeng (simple roasted hen) is a nice dish, my daughter loved it.

I also tried the grilled chang mai sausage for the first time, which had a nice relish, some kind of gourd, pork rinds, and I think some green beans with it.

no wait at all early on a weekday.