Paterno and Penn St

I may not have been fully awake, but I could swear I heard it said on the radio this morning that the Graduate Assistant who brought this to Joe Paterno's attention is being kept off the field on Sunday and under protection, for fear of reprisals against him.

Reprisals AGAINST HIM????????????????

Are those Penn State students complete cretins?

after being horsewhipped, everyone of those protesting students needs to be sent to perform mandatory community service in the service of child victims of sexual abuse, though i suspect it might be more effective to sentence them to spend time getting raped in a shower, by a creepy old guy, who tells them repeatedly that jo pa said it was okay and to stop crying

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not have been fully awake, but I could swear I heard it said on the radio this morning that the Graduate Assistant who brought this to Joe Paterno's attention is being kept off the field on Sunday and under protection, for fear of reprisals against him.

Denial can get ugly.

Don't know how McQueary sleeps at night either. He saw what he saw and continued to coach at Penn St knowing that nothing was done about it. What did he think when Sandusky would show up to practices with young boys?

Exactly. He's not coaching for the same reason Paterno isn't coaching -- he knew what was happening and didn't do enough to put an end to it. I hope McQueary is fired too.

Fully agree. According to reports, McQueary actually witnessed a rape and did nothing to stop it. Despicable. How could he have not broken it up? I've "intervened" when I've witnessed homeless people being beaten up. How do you live with yourself; just watching a young child be raped and turning away?

Don't know how McQueary sleeps at night either. He saw what he saw and continued to coach at Penn St knowing that nothing was done about it. What did he think when Sandusky would show up to practices with young boys?

I'm not sure it's the students. Angry parents and other adults, I think.

I read somewhere one of Sandusky's adopted sons with same last name, who is a coach at West Chester U., is on a leave of absence, maybe for the same reasons.

Fully agree. According to reports, McQueary actually witnessed a rape and did nothing to stop it. Despicable. How could he have not broken it up? I've "intervened" when I've witnessed homeless people being beaten up. How do you live with yourself; just watching a young child be raped and turning away?

But he did do something. He went to Paterno the very next day and reported what he saw. He was 26 at the time (no child, I admit, but still young), a graduate assistant, and assistant coach?,on the lowest rung of the coaching team, and he saw his former superior in the shower.

according to the grand jury investigation, mcqueary did nothing to break it up, went home and told his dad who had to persuade him that it needed to be reported. he and his dad then waited until the next day to see jo pa. it seems no thought was given to what might be happening to that kid or other kids during the delay or during the subsequent years when no action was taken other than telling sandusky that they'd prefer he didn't rape kids on school property. clearly, mcqueary had dreams of advancing his career at penn state and he leveraged his silence into an assistant coach position.

according to the grand jury investigation, mcqueary did nothing to break it up, went home and told his dad who had to persuade him that it needed to be reported. he and his dad then waited until the next day to see jo pa. it seems no thought was given to what might be happening to that kid or other kids during the delay or during the subsequent years when no action was taken other than telling sandusky that they'd prefer he didn't rape kids on school property. clearly, mcqueary had dreams of advancing his career at penn state and he leveraged his silence into an assistant coach position.

Well it was also the dad of one of McQueary's childhood friends. Doesn't excuse the 9 years of silence, but it does put his initial response in a slightly less "ohmigod what a terrible person" light.

I suppose you could consider that "doing something" but IMO his actions (lack of) fell far short of what I think he should have done. How about pulling the coach away from the child; then reporting it.

If I saw a woman being raped, and went about my day and called the police the next day to report it, would you consider that an appropriate amount of "doing something?" I wouldn't.

But he did do something. He went to Paterno the very next day and reported what he saw. He was 26 at the time (no child, I admit, but still young), a graduate assistant, and assistant coach?,on the lowest rung of the coaching team, and he saw his former superior in the shower.

Well it was also the dad of one of McQueary's childhood friends. Doesn't excuse the 9 years of silence, but it does put his initial response in a slightly less "ohmigod what a terrible person" light.

i'm sure that line of thinking would be most comforting to the child mcqueary abandoned to a rapist that day.

i'm sure that line of thinking would be most comforting to the child mcqueary abandoned to a rapist that day.

Ya, it doesn't matter who the rapist is. There's an appropriate course of action and he didn't take it.

I'm just not very confident that as a youngish man if I came across one of my childhood friends fathers raping a ten year old my reaction wouldn't be just pure shock. I'd like to think it wouldn't be, but I've never been tested like that.

What's criminal is the 9 years after. A day later, they go to the Police, or they go to the Police after the realize the PSU admin didn't - I don't have a problem with their actions.

I'm just not very confident that as a youngish man if I came across one of my childhood friends fathers raping a ten year old my reaction wouldn't be just pure shock. I'd like to think it wouldn't be, but I've never been tested like that.

What's criminal is the 9 years after. A day later, they go to the Police, or they go to the Police after the realize the PSU admin didn't - I don't have a problem with their actions.

well, i hope you never find yourself getting raped with only mcqueary to count on to help you