Lippy

The Pete Wells Thread

I have no idea what those blurbs at the foot of the review -- starting with one for Wong itself -- are supposed to be.

I have no idea what those blurbs at the foot of the review -- starting with one for Wong itself -- are supposed to be.

Might they be the $25 and Under entries in the wrong place?

It looks like pilot error at the NYT website.

I won't say that Wells has got the critic's job nailed: it'll take a much larger body of work to either establish or disprove that. And as I noted when he was announced, he still has the SHO Shaun Hergatt error to live down.

But this was, at the very least, what I want the NYT reviews stylistically to be. In that respect, at any rate, he's a step forward from Sifton, provided he doesn't start getting cute later on.

When Bruni began, I think he deliberately chose a restaurant (Babbo) that most food-focused people in NYC would have been quite familiar with, which provided an instant calibration of a writer whom most of us weren't familiar with. Wells didn't take that approach (not that there was any precedent requiring it). I haven't been to Wong, so I have no idea if I'd agree with his take. I only know that it's the type of review I want the NYT critic to write.

It took four weeks, but Pete Wells has just uncorked his first review that makes me want to barf: two stars for Parm.

I read that article quickly but at first glance I don't have a problem with the content, just the idea that he gave Parm two stars. It should have been a very enthusiastic one.

I read that article quickly but at first glance I don't have a problem with the content, just the idea that he gave Parm two stars. It should have been a very enthusiastic one.

Yes, that's it.

I can't imagine a meatball sandwich that could warrant such hyperbolic praise. How good does a meatball sandwich get? But this has become a common occurrence over the past few years.

I can't imagine a meatball sandwich that could warrant such hyperbolic praise. How good does a meatball sandwich get?

Tsk, tsk, tks. They did this:

The meatballs are not normal. For starters, they are not balls, they are patties. Anyone who has ever taken a bite of a meatball hero and watched one of the meatballs launch into orbit will recognize at once the significance of this deviation.

I can't imagine a meatball sandwich that could warrant such hyperbolic praise. How good does a meatball sandwich get?

The meatballs are not normal. For starters, they are not balls, they are patties. Anyone who has ever taken a bite of a meatball hero and watched one of the meatballs launch into orbit will recognize at once the significance of this deviation.

Creeping Ozerskyism.

Sort has Wells already lost all credibility with this crowd? Oh good, another thread I needn't bother to read.

That it's a patty vs. a ball?