The Pete Wells Thread

I well remember the posts here and on eG, shortly after he broke on the scene, and for the next few years thereafter. For a while, people wrote as if he were the Messiah. Jesus Himself could only have dreamed of so many fawning admirers.

Perhaps, and in retrospect certainly easy enough to say.

But he was a fairly groundbreaking NYC chef and restaurateur, despite what he's become.

And many of us had plenty of great meals at Noodle Bar, Ssam Bar, and Ko,

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to Eater   Let the grumbling begin.

Even now when everybody has seen pictures of all the major reviewers, there's hope for anonymous restaurant reviewing.

[Deleted]

JoJo renovation and rethink.

If this doesn't lead to Pete re-evaluating the fourteen year-old three stars awarded by Grimes, I will cancel my free subscription.

When you are limited to one review a week, you have to decide what constitutes "news". The fact that JoJo is no longer a three-star restaurant is news to no one. It's important, only if you feel the NYT has a moral obligation to keep all of the stars consistent and correct, a duty it relinquished long ago.

But ironically, the renovation will probably accomplish what Wilfrid's begging did not: he most likely will review it now.

Personally, I think the obligation is either to maintain the validity, at least of the three and four star ratings, or expire them.

I haven't been begging for a re-review of JoJo, just using it as a prime example of a broken system.

I haven't pondered this deeply, but off the cuff I'd say that Chang is the most important restaurateur (not chef) of the past ten years. And not just confined to NYC.

Relative lack of critical success at Nishi doesn't matter much in that context.

I haven't pondered this deeply, but off the cuff I'd say that Chang is the most important restaurateur (not chef) of the past ten years. And not just confined to NYC.

Relative lack of critical success at Nishi doesn't matter much in that context.

It's either Chang or redzepi, I think.

I thought about Stephen Starr.

He's successful, sure -- and now his restaurants are actually good.

But who has he lastingly influenced? The big-box stuff seems to be dead (even for him).

And don't places like spice market and Tao predate buddokan? Certainly nobu does. There's no culinary imprint there, and from a pure restaurant perspective, it seems neither his nor massively influential (plus more than 10 years, but I take it we're saying since 2000 or something). Danny Meyer probably has a claim on shake shack alone.