The Pete Wells Thread

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Especially at this exact juncture in my life, it comforts me to know there are other people who are almost as old as I am.  

I'm honestly surprised to have made it this far. Now I may as well keep going, because it's too late to leave a beautiful corpse. I missed my window.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to Eater   Let the grumbling begin.

Even now when everybody has seen pictures of all the major reviewers, there's hope for anonymous restaurant reviewing.

[Deleted]

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Especially at this exact juncture in my life, it comforts me to know there are other people who are almost as old as I am.  

Only reason I forced myself to adopt the MetLife rebranding is that my brother-in-law worked there, for MetLife, for a number of years.

3 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

you can always identify native (or long-time) New Yorkers of a certain age because they still refer to it as the Pan Am building. And I count myself among them. Damn I'm old.

Of course it's the Pan Am Building!

I remember a co-worker urging me to join her in taking the copter from the Pan Am roof to JFK.   I  never did.  

I also remember being very late to an appointment because I didn't realize that Park numbered differently from, say, Fifth or Madison.    Damn the PA building!  

Old?

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I'm most definitely an early member of Generation X, with all the angst that accompanies it.

Same. I even read the book. (Maybe everyone did. I don't read that many books, so I always think it's a big deal when I read one.)

Not Pete Wells, but:

It would be amusing, if it weren't so enraging, that an article that starts by needling a transplanted New Yorker for misunderstanding NYC Jewish culinary traditions would immediately go on to commit the cardinal error of conflating appetizing and deli:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/style/deli-new-york.html

Repeat after me:

APPETIZING ISN'T DELI.  APPETIZING ISN'T DELI.  APPETIZING ISN'T DELI.

(Next week:  brasseries aren't bistros.)

I know I dined at Augustine, but I have no memory of the experience: I suppose it was that much a generic McNally? In which case Boulud reopening/repurposing the space should be an improvement?

LOL, Sneak, I'm sure we could find some signs from France claiming both 'brasserie' and 'bistro' identities?

I definitely have in my head normative Platonic ideals of what brasseries and bistros should be, but I don't doubt there are restaurants in this fallen world that blur the boundary.

I've a bit to say about kids without money writing about luxe restaurants, but I'll need a little time for that. 😀 So the Mouthfuls readership will be spared for now.

2 minutes ago, Neocon maudit said:

I know I dined at Augustine, but I have no memory of the experience: I suppose it was that much a generic McNally? In which case Boulud reopening/repurposing the space should be an improvement?

It was a pretty generic McNally, but we did have a couple of good enough meals sitting at the bar.

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

It was a pretty generic McNally, but we did have a couple of good enough meals sitting at the bar.

Just saw the news about Boulud taking the Augustine space. We had quite a few meals at Augustine, lunches and dinners. We found the food to be very well-prepared and delicious. The menu became more interesting when Chef Markus Glocker took over the kitchen and added some German/Austrian dishes to the menu.  I was sad about it closing permanently. 

• Like 1