The Pete Wells Thread

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to Eater   Let the grumbling begin.

Even now when everybody has seen pictures of all the major reviewers, there's hope for anonymous restaurant reviewing.

You're conflating two different issues that I made the mistake of including in the same post. 1. Stars are useful to some people. 2. I'd rather read mostly facts with a little opinion than t

Posted Images

You are not nuts.

I agree with Sneak: Wells isn't nuts either. He has an agenda here and it might well be to undermine the ranking system he is required by his editors to apply.

Undermine it with "star inflation," so that the rankings eventually become meaningless? I can see the rationale behind that, but a large part of our decision-making seems to rely - at least partiy - on ratings. I filter by 4-star ratings when I'm shopping on Amazon, for instance, and I look at Rotten Tomatoes to help me decide whether to see a movie. In both instances, I also read actual words of actual reviews, because I know ratings don't tell the whole story, but they are at least something of a time-saver. But more to the point, I also sometimes search the NYT for a three-star restaurant in midtown or what have you. It's not the way I usually choose a restaurant, but it has its uses.

But in terms of “everybody” having been “fine”, I do have to recall that when say a delicatessen was reviewed there were complaints that it was an inappropriate review subject (irrespective of the rating) because it “wasn’t” a “restaurant’.  

Right, and that's not a complaint I would have. Maybe the star system should be broken up, the way Zagat's does their ratings, with different categories. Then a food truck could get 0 stars for atmosphere.

Or have stars reflective of different styles of dining.  One would know that a certain food truck or deli or fine dining room was operating at the top of its category.

Yes, or that. Your Le Bernardins would get stars or bitcoins or napkins shaped like swans. While your Sunny and Annies would get forks or smiley faces.

Also, "$25 and Under" was an objective criterion based solely on price, so not involving ghettoizing by character.  And the lead critic could always snag one of those restaurants for a main review if he or she saw fit.

If you wanted to do a price cut-off now, what could it be, anyway?  "$100 and Under"?

• Thanks 1

For 25 years, I have begged food writers, posters and critics, to simple describe as precisely as they can rather than qualify dishes, giving me details that will allow me to make up my own mind about whether a place or product was worth my while.