The Pete Wells Thread

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to Eater   Let the grumbling begin.

Even now when everybody has seen pictures of all the major reviewers, there's hope for anonymous restaurant reviewing.

You're conflating two different issues that I made the mistake of including in the same post. 1. Stars are useful to some people. 2. I'd rather read mostly facts with a little opinion than t

Posted Images

Now he's pretty clearly cherry-picking.  But he'll have to show what he thinks is a two-star -- good but not as good -- and a one-star -- kind of good but not that good -- to show what three stars means.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Now he's pretty clearly cherry-picking.  But he'll have to show what he thinks is a two-star -- good but not as good -- and a one-star -- kind of good but not that good -- to show what three stars means.

Maybe he can give two stars to lechonera la piraña! 

This is what I think is the tell in Pete Wells's first New Age less-than-three-star review, of a mainstream (not mom-and-pop hole-in-the-wall) Vietnamese restaurant, Saigon Social (two stars):

The cooking at Saigon Social is at its most appealing when it is at its most purely Vietnamese. An open-faced turmeric crepe topped with salmon roe, octopus and sea urchin struck me as an uninspired play for the uni mob. And while there may well be a zoning rule requiring every chef on the Lower East Side to sell a burger and a fried-chicken sandwich, I wish Ms. Nguyen had resisted. There’s nothing really wrong with the burger, which is dressed like a banh mi, but there are more rewarding things on the menu.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Diancecht said:

three stars for chicken on sticks

after the food truck episode, nothing surprises me anymore 

Did you even read the review?

This place was probably impossible to get into even before the review, but it sounds really good.  And I can't remember my last visit to Torishen - a long time now, I'm surte.