The Four Swallows

Paul and I met some friends at The Four Swallows last week. They live there so we walked on the ferry here, and they picked us up over there. It was a lovely crisp and clear night so that was a bonus!

They recently started serving cocktails, and they had a classic martini - just like I make at home - on the menu so we started of with that and some snow creek oysters. I'd never had these before but they were small and brine-y and just the way I like them.

Paul and I shared a beet salad which was good but typical. For my main I had papperdelle with pork ragu. It was good but the ragu had almost as many carrots as pork and was way under seasoned. In fact, everything needed a good dose of salt. Paul had ling cod with barley and roasted brussels sprouts. He said the fish was good but the barley was the best part. We had a bottle of 2008 Ken Wright “Abbott Claim Vineyards” Pinot Noir which was approachable but not complex.

My friend had been raving about their butterscotch budino so I felt I needed to give that a try. It was good but not even close to that served at Mozza. I had a lovely vin santo with it. Paul had the affogato, which he said was okay.

It was a fine place for dinner with our friends but I wouldn't make it a destination meal.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...