Christopher Hitchens

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A piece of drivel from one ROSS DOUTHAT

"...American Christian intellectual life is sustained today, to a large extent, by the work of writers very much like Hitchens — by essayists and journalists and novelists and poets, from G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis to W. H. Auden and Evelyn Waugh, who shared his English roots, his gift for argument and his abiding humanism. Waffle, waffle. Is that enough English writers?"

Adding some balance to the effusions, Katha Pollitt. Even so, it's quite affectionate.

Not that I ever met him, but that piece is a bit closer to my view.

I saw an interview with him and Paxman and he was getting into what was a basically a not very good version of Sontag's illness and its metaphors..

Not that impressive.

At least with Hitchens one doesn't have to feel bad about being critical of someone recently dead.

Adding some balance to the effusions, Katha Pollitt. Even so, it's quite affectionate.

Pollitt's assessment of Hitchens's attitude towards women doesn't quite jibe with what he writes about his mother. The first chapter in Hitch 22, "Yvonne", is one of the most tender reminiscences written by a man about his mother I've read.

lots of misogynists like individual women.

He defended Lewinsky. N=2 and counting

Do you have any juicy quotes?

(I'm surprised no-one has brought up the fact he left his first wife while she was pregnant, but even she and he remained good friends, ditto Anna Wintour.)

it's not his relationships with specific women that katha pollit is referring to. it's his pronouncements on abortion, on women's sense of humour, his treatment of female interns.

Oh, come on, Hitchens's points about women's sense of humor could have been written by Mary Wollstonecraft.

Seeing a sonogram of a fetus to be aborted and he's upset, who isn't?

I don't know how he treated male vs female interns. The charge of misogyny seems a little hollow, as I get the impression he disliked stupidity no matter the source and said so.

lots of misogynists like individual women.

He defended Lewinsky.

I think this had a lot more to do with him hating the Clintons than anything else.

Oh, really, and why?

Clinton intended to label Lewinsky as a stalker. Without the blue dress, she had no evidence. Without Hitchens and blue dress (& H's testifying about Blumenthal's involvement), Clinton would have got away with another lie and he did.....