Christopher Hitchens

lots of misogynists like individual women.

He defended Lewinsky.

I think this had a lot more to do with him hating the Clintons than anything else.

Oh, really, and why?

Because Hitchens hated, hated, hated the Clintons. And as far as I can tell, when he hated somebody, that hatred was in a pure, black-and-white form that didn't allow for compromise or questioning. It's one of the things that made him entertaining to read; but did he ever change anybody's mind about anything?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of misogynists like individual women.

He defended Lewinsky.

I think this had a lot more to do with him hating the Clintons than anything else.

Oh, really, and why?

Because Hitchens hated, hated, hated the Clintons. And as far as I can tell, when he hated somebody, that hatred was in a pure, black-and-white form that didn't allow for compromise or questioning. It's one of the things that made him entertaining to read; but did he ever change anybody's mind about anything?

Absolutely. Me for one. I stayed up all night when Clinton won. I thought he would change 'the world'. He turned out to be most conservative. Did you predict that? Hitch told it in his book "No-one left to lie to".

Read the above and say your mind isn't changed. It's not black and white, it's Clinton laid bare!

it's not his relationships with specific women that katha pollit is referring to. it's his pronouncements on abortion, on women's sense of humour, his treatment of female interns.

The women's sense of humor thing was stupid, and if he mistreated his interns then he was certainly a jerk. But on abortion, I don't think all feminists share a viewpoint. And related to that, I always thought his slam of Mother Theresa was rather dead on.

Mostly I thought the guy talked out of his arse, the sum of his arguments was often internally inconsistent, but he was always fun to read just the same.