Manhattan Pizza Crawl.

I recall that Arturo's has one big round table for groups. And it happens to have a piano bar out front.

For what it's worth, I love Arturo's. But I haven't been to any of these fancy schmancy NBC pizza joints. (Except Robertas, which was pretty good but nothing better than what I think used to be readily available throughout Manhattan on every other block.)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that Arturo's has one big round table for groups. And it happens to have a piano bar out front.

For what it's worth, I love Arturo's. But I haven't been to any of these fancy schmancy NBC pizza joints. (Except Robertas, which was pretty good but nothing better than what I think used to be readily available throughout Manhattan on every other block.)

I'm pretty sure Arturo's doesn't have a big round table any more; but, they still seat large parties by putting together a whole bunch of square tables.

Piano is still in the front room.

Drinks can certainly be had (I usually order Campari and soda and don't go any deeper than that), but I find them to be better across the street...at Pegu.

I wasn't that impressed with Roberta's pizza either.

This all fascinates me as an outsider. I am all for earnest inquiry into modes of eating, but like most New York Italian-American dining projects, this has surely got to be a recipe for eating a lot of not very good food.

But don't let me be the grinch.

For me, Keste, Motorino, et al are fine for what they do and for the price/quality ratio, but none is stunning or exceptional.

That's what I was getting at, although after several pies from Motorino, I rate them a bit less than fine. Some of the other places mentioned on the thread aren't even that good.

This doesn't mean getting a group together to try them wouldn't be fun. We had great fun trying some generally mediocre BBQ a while back.

Drinks can certainly be had (I usually order Campari and soda and don't go any deeper than that), but I find them to be better across the street...at Pegu.

Sorry, I can't help myself. It's a pizza crawl. Drink beer. Or wine that has a wicker bottle wrapper.

This all fascinates me as an outsider. I am all for earnest inquiry into modes of eating, but like most New York Italian-American dining projects, this has surely got to be a recipe for eating a lot of not very good food.

But don't let me be the grinch.

For me, Keste, Motorino, et al are fine for what they do and for the price/quality ratio, but none is stunning or exceptional.

That's what I was getting at, although after several pies from Motorino, I rate them a bit less than fine. Some of the other places mentioned on the thread aren't even that good.

This doesn't mean getting a group together to try them wouldn't be fun. We had great fun trying some generally mediocre BBQ a while back.

Indeed, my last pie at Motorino was quite less than fine, and Motorino had been my favorite in Manhattan. Actually, as I was just saying to a friend, there's really no where in New York these days where I'm eager to eat (or at least where I feel like spending my own money to eat), but that's a whole different subject . . .

I hardly think you can do a NYC (Manhattan) pizza crawl without including Arturo's. When "on," it's very good and the place is a classic. Do NOT be tempted to order the baked clams.

I've really enjoyed the grandma pie a couple of times at Adrienne's Pizza Bar on Old Stone Street.

And last week, I sort of enjoyed the pizza at Donatella's but was more surprised by one or two of the pasta dishes. Not bad at all.

There was a place that I believe was originally recommended by Daniel that we loved when we first tried it...haven't been in a long time...I think it was called Luzzo's. Is it still around and if so, any good?

I still like Arturo's... that might be a good idea.

When last I ate pizza at Luzzo's (1st Ave, E.12-13th Sts), I thought it was very mediocre. But the owner has been a mentor to several others who have impressed me, so maybe I just caught a bad day. Still there, last I looked (around the corner from Redhead).

Sorry to have disappeared on the thread. Was in Seattle/Vancouver with family for the holidays.

I'm still game for 2/23/11 starting as early as anyone would like.

There were no "invites" for this particular crawl, but anyone who is interested is welcomed imo with the itenerary as yet up to the tastes of the group.

Sorry to have disappeared on the thread. Was in Seattle/Vancouver with family for the holidays.

Just family meals or are you going to share your impressions of the PNW? (Different thread, please.)

There were no "invites" for this particular crawl, but anyone who is interested is welcomed imo with the itenerary as yet up to the tastes of the group.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps a 6 PM start time to get as many places in as possible?

Sounds good to me. Perhaps a 6 PM start time to get as many places in as possible?

I'm not sure why, but I thought that this was envisioned as a lunchtime (starting at) thing. Wasn't uhockey having dinner at Per Se that night, perhaps? Anyway I'm sure we'll hear soone enough. I would prefer evening in terms of my appetite.

Just family meals or are you going to share your impressions of the PNW? (Different thread, please.)

I can - went to a lot of places - will eventually get it all up in my blog but can certainly cross post in the appropriate thread here if desired.

I'm not sure why, but I thought that this was envisioned as a lunchtime (starting at) thing. Wasn't uhockey having dinner at Per Se that night, perhaps? Anyway I'm sure we'll hear soone enough. I would prefer evening in terms of my appetite.

The Per Se thing was a joke - Steve R poking fun at my ability to eat (a lot) but I did indeed forsee this trek as an event starting around lunchtime.

Again, I'll defer to the group, but if not lunch at least starting around 4 as opposed to 6.

The Per Se thing was a joke - Steve R poking fun at my ability to eat (a lot) but I did indeed forsee this trek as an event starting around lunchtime.

Again, I'll defer to the group, but if not lunch at least starting around 4 as opposed to 6.

A lunch time start is fine by me and others can phone us as they become available to join wherever we're going next. This guy can eat and I will pace my delicate innards accordingly. Not all places are open at lunch time and others are hard to get into, so we'll set up an itinerary as the date approaches.

But if it's on a Thursday, I'm assuming most of us will be at work, yes? I can't speak for the others, but I don't get out until 5 and I can't really leave early.