Farmer gets MacArthur Award

Cheryl Rogowski, a family farmer from Pine Island NY, has joined the elite group of physicists, nanotechnologists, and writers who have received these "no strings attached" awards. Ms Rogowski, who grows a wide range of radishes, squash, cilantro, lettuces, golden beets, chilis, etc, farms about 150 acres in what had been a mono-crop onion area. The foundation described her work in Community Supported Agriculture as a model, and an engine for community development.

Among her CSA accounts are a 75 family community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, a senior citizens group, and several small Hispanic accounts. She's currently building a kitchen to process vegetable soups for sale to restaurants.

Genius Grant

Maybe its just the post-Thanksgiving sentimentality but that piece of news really touched me. I think the awarding of the MacArthur to a woman farmer in NYS is the best thing to happen (that I am aware of) this year and except for the "talk with God" part, this woman sounds amazing.

That's lovely, Paul - thanks.

And Rosie, I dunno...if by God she meant the watercress and garlic and dirt and weeds and sun and rain and her family and crew and customers, that's kinda cool, no?

I guess for me thats a nice way of looking at it, Cath. :D

It so beats giving it to professors at Harvard or Caltech IMO. Those people have security, well-paying jobs, and etc. There is no benefit to giving them an extra kitchen remodel or whatever. This is the sort of thing they should be doing.

It so beats giving it to professors at Harvard or Caltech IMO. Those people have security, well-paying jobs, and etc. There is no benefit to giving them an extra kitchen remodel or whatever. This is the sort of thing they should be doing.

There's an article in Barron's about a foundation underwritten by hedge fund managers. These are people who can, and sometimes do, write checks for millions of dollars to charities.

According to the article, their Robin Hood Foundation financed a program which enabled poor people in NYC to claim more than $50mn of earned income credits, family assistance, etc. Cost them $3mn to set it up and get the counseling staffs trained.

People were always entitled to the money, they just had no knowledge it was there...